Considering I’m going into my second year as a part-time empty nester, there’s a surprising amount of communication between my two daughters and me. My Skype is constantly on, and like a reassuring umbilical cord it keeps me connected to my girls.

The various sounds and signals are so expressive.  There’s the chirpy little tone that tells me they’re just checking in to text ‘hi’, a string of chirpy little tones when they have so much to say that their fingers can barely keep pace, and the slightly annoying intermittent chirps which mean they’re multi-tasking and don’t have time for my questions.  The insistent bloop – bleeps of a video call usually means they’re missing home. And when a barrage of sounds peals forth from my laptop, followed by my cell phone echoing from the bowels of my purse, I know I’m needed, STAT.

Yesterday my youngest chirpped in from college with a request.  She was in the mood to cook something, but her dorm only has a microwave, no stove or oven.  My first suggestion was microwave fudge.  You can do that, she asked?  Yup, I responded, and copied and pasted a couple of quick links her way. After a few back and forths…she wanted real chocolate, not cocoa powder, no marshmallow, etc…, we came up with the perfect recipe.

About 20 minutes later, another chirp.  Same daughter.  Turns out the basement ‘kitchen’ in the dorm didn’t have foil.  Or the right kind of pan.  And being Sunday night, all the local stores were closed.

My daughter’s college has amazing dining halls.  One of them is directly under her bedroom window.  She has all the food she could ever want.  She can even go and get a pizza, or a cheeseburger and an ice cream shake in the wee hours of the morning.  But all the food in the world can’t take the place of  being able to fix something for yourself when you’re hungry.  There’s something elemental about that.

Easy Microwave Fudge

1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz bag) semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter, cut in pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp vanilla

• Line a 9×9 inch pan with foil, going in both directions and letting some hang over the edge for easy removal later.  Spray with cooking spray.
  • In a large microwave safe bowl put the chocolate, the butter and the condensed milk.
  • Microwave on high 1 1/2 minutes.  Remove and stir.
  • If the chocolate is not completely melted, put in back in the microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, letting the residual heat in the bowl finish melting the chocolate.
  • When it’s completely smooth, add in the vanilla and nuts and stir to combine.
  • Spread into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
  • Refrigerate for 2 hours.
  • Remove the foil sling from the pan and carefully peel it off the fudge.  Cut into squares with a sharp knife.

I’m going to send her a box of supplies and a batch of this fudge.  Any other good microwave-only ideas?  Let me know and I’ll copy and paste them right over to her.

PS  After I finished this post I came across this article.

This doesn't have to be goodbye ---
CLICK HERE FOR TVFGI'S RSS FEED AND NEVER MISS ONE DELICIOUS BITE!
If you love to get mail, CLICK HERE AND I'LL SEND MY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX.
I'm also on FACEBOOK chatting and sharing recipes every day. If you like to Pin, (and who doesn't?) follow me on PINTEREST
blog_share_subscribe
Share →

14 Responses to Minimal Monday, Easy Microwave Fudge

1. grace says:

considering those ingredients, this is probably some of the best fudge ever.

2. Valerie says:

It’s been far too long since I made fudge! After seeing this, I’ll have to remedy that asap! And you’re right, there is something fulfilling about making something from scratch. :)

3. Kitchen Belleicious says:

Wow! that was easy! I can’t wait to try this

4. Magnolia Verandah says:

How lovely is it that your daughters are in constant contact, that says a lot about both of you. Great fudge too.

5. I love microwave fudge. I don’t make it any other way. Your daughter will love her package when it arrives in the mail.

6. Yummmm! Your daughters are so lucky. I’m in the same boat this year, both are engaged, one is having a baby any day, and neither is at home. I miss them and want to feed them when they stop by. This fudge looks fantastic.

7. Mary says:

OMG. That looks delicious and I love the recipe. If only they could make chocolate chips calorie free it would be heaven on earth. I sound like an old woman but I do not IM or text my daughters. Nor do I encourage them to contact me this way, save for an emergency. I much prefer their voices and would rather talk less often than text daily. My girls have been on their own for quite a while now, so I don’t suffer from the separation anxiety I felt when they first left home. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship with your daughters. It will get even better as they grow older. In the meantime, have a great day. Blessings…Mary

8. I can’t believe you made this in the microwave! It looks divine. Your daughter will be so happy :)

9. Taryn (Have Kitchen, Will Feed) says:

I remember how frustrating dorm kitchens are – your daughter will love the care package.

10. Stephanie says:

Now that’s clever-who says you don’t have time to make dessert?

11. Uh-oh. This looks like a delicious, dangerous, delicious recipe!

12. What a good mom you are! The fudge looks delicious!

13. Mary says:

Oh, Sue! You did not just put fudge at my fingertips in microwavable ease. You are going to be the death of me. Everything you make is way to tempting! Your girls are so lucky to have you.

Can your daughter use a crockpot in her dorm room? A hot plate or electric skillet? There are a lot of snacks, meals, desserts etc that can be made that way. Fondue is an awesome middle of the night snack that her friends would thank her for too! Chocolates, cheeses, so much fun.

• Mary I love the fondue idea. Our family used to go to an old world fondue restaurant for big events like birthdays. etc., and then one day it closed. We all miss it so much, but have never thought about doing our own fondue. I think I’ll look for a cheap fondue set to send her, that would be such fun in a dorm. I think she should be able to use it somewhere in the building, if not actually in her room, thanks!