Pin It
I admit it, I finally got sucked in to Downton Abbey.  I now actually care whether Matthew Crawley will ever be able to sire an heir, O’Brian can unburden her conscience, or Bates will get out of jail.  I’m only human, and  it’s hard-wired into our DNA to care about our fellow creatures… unfortunately, that lot includes overwritten, melodramatic characters as well.  In my experience this involuntary response kicks in about the third or fourth episode, so be forewarned in case you’re catching the reruns.

This is a dish that Carson might offer you for breakfast if you were lucky enough to be invited to stay overnight at the Abbey.  Mrs. Patmore would have liked it because it uses up yesterday’s leftovers.  Kedgeree became popular in Britain in the Victorian era when it was brought back by colonial solders from India.  It’s a delicious meal that draws from both Indian and British culinary traditions: rice, smoked fish, eggs, and curry …think of it as comfort food for the British colonial set.  We like to eat it for dinner so I make mine hearty.

You don’t need anything fancy to make this dish, so if you’ve never tried it, you really should.  The combination of the smoked fish, the curry, and the creamy rice and eggs is really wonderful.  It’s traditionally made with smoked haddock, but I used smoked salmon.  Any smoked fish will do.  Boil the eggs and the rice in advance and you can whip this up while the credits roll.

This is a basic recipe that is easy to make and uses standard ingredients…you can spice it up using coriander pods, saffron, turmeric, and a cinnamon stick if you want to.  Some recipes add a little cream at the end, or cooked lentils along with the rice.  If it were fresh pea season, I’d definitely throw some in.  It’s all good.

Kedgeree                   ~~~adapted from Jamie Oliver
3 large eggs, boiled and quartered
4 cups cooked basmati (long grain) rice
1/3-1/2 lb smoked fish, I used salmon (buy it in a chunk, not the thin sliced kind)
4 Tbsp butter
1 heaping Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
1 fresh hot chili, finely sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch of spring onions, finely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
2 handfuls of fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and fresh pepper to taste
1 cup whole milk yogurt for serving

• Melt the butter in a large pot, and saute the onion, ginger and garlic for about 5 minutes.
  • Add the curry powder, fresh chili and mustard seeds and cook for a few more minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes, spring onions and lemon juice.and heat through.
  • Add the rice to the pan and then the fish, breaking it into large flakes as you do. Add in the cilantro, reserving a bit for a garnish. Stir gently to mix everything together and heat through.
  • Season with salt and fresh black pepper, and taste it to see if you need more lemon juice; rice dishes need lots of seasoning.
  • Top the kedgeree with the egg quarters, garnish with more cilantro and serve the yogurt on the side.
  • Like so many dishes, kedgeree will only get better hanging out in the fridge if you want to make it ahead.

Give me a big plate of this and I’ll watch anything… even the Oscars!

Tagged with →
This doesn't have to be goodbye ---
CLICK HERE FOR TVFGI'S RSS FEED AND NEVER MISS ONE DELICIOUS BITE!
If you love to get mail, CLICK HERE AND I'LL SEND MY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX.
I'm also on FACEBOOK chatting and sharing recipes every day. If you like to Pin, (and who doesn't?) follow me on PINTEREST
blog_share_subscribe
Share →

25 Responses to Kedgeree

1. […] Kedgeree | The View from Great Island […]

2. Anonymous says:

Hey! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find
    a template or plugin that might be able to correct this issue.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Many
    thanks!

my blog Driveway Defined

3. Anonymous says:

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly
    enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for beginner blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

My weblog – playmate

4. Jeanette says:

I’ve yet to watch Downton Abbey but I hear it’s like Upstairs Downstairs which I used to love watching. This Kedgeree sounds like an unusual but delicious dish.

5. grace says:

nifty dish with a super-fun name! i’m so obsessed with the folks of downton abbey. even though i’ve always veered toward men with dark hair and eyes, i can’t help but love matthew. methinks it’s his kind yet regal attitude. :)

6. Laura says:

I just got hooked myself, such a great show!

7. This looks delicious. Hard boiled eggs and smoked salmon are always welcomed in our house.

8. Mmmm … this dish sounds and looks yummy. I have just discovered your blog — what beautiful food photography! I enjoy posting recipes on my blog and photographing food. I’ve added you to my blog roll so others can discover your site!
    Claudia

9. Positively yummy dish. Isn’t it so true about Downtown Abbey being so overdramatic and forced. But…yet we all love it. The wardrobes and the props are where my eyes go! If I could just press the ‘pause’ button when they are in that gorgeous kitchen and see all of the details!

10. Lizzy says:

I’ve never seen this dish, but I love all the components :) I have Downton Abbey on my DVR…I need to start watching!

11. Sometimes I curse spell checker. I’m not sure what “magpie”ing someone’s recipe is,( though I suppose it is true, I take something and make it mine!) However I meant to say I make my mother’s recipe.

12. Wonderful. One of my favourirte supper dishes. I magpie my Mum’s recipe, it’s delicious. In England we tradtionally use smoked haddock, which is perfect, if you can get some I really recommend it. And your photograph is glorious. Jude x

13. Victoria says:

gorgeous pictures. Kedgeree is one of my all time faves…breakfast, lunch or supper!!! yum yum!

14. Yay! Another Downton Abbey fan!!! Reruns tonight because of the Academy Awards! Your dish looks delicious!

15. Valerie says:

This looks soooo delicious! (Especially on a lazy Sunday morning.)
    I become all too easily addicted to certain t.v. shows, and even though I haven’t watched Downton Abbey, I already know that I’d love it! :D

16. I think this looks wonderful! Great photos and that may be the best photo of hard boiled eggs I’ve ever seen! Have to make this soon.

17. Servia says:

Glad you’ve joined us Downton fans, Sue. Now you too can envy the beautiful clothes. Obviously the food is already in your capable hands. Most scrumptious looking!

18. Claudia says:

I had been thinking about doing a recipe inspired by Downton Abbey – the only TV I watch in the course of a year. But here you are with a delicious nod to this wonderful series. I am saving this for when I when I need a Downton Abbey fix – and because it is gone for a year – I will be needing one soon!

19. Magnolia Verandah says:

Love kedgeree especially left overs for breakfast (very Empirish – I know that’s not a word). I have two vegetarians in the family and this is always nice and easy to make. I see this has Jamie overtones – Nigella also does a good one. I agree with Stephanie your photos out do themselves each post!

20. Rose says:

I haven’t been sucked into the show yet, but I can be easily talked into joining you for dinner! Looks delicious!

21. The salmon and the egg slices photos look amazing!

22. Mary says:

Ok, I give up. I am going to have to check out the show. I keep hearing about it! This dish sounds perfect for many reasons, not the least of which is using leftovers. I love a great meal that accomplishes that. I’ve never heard of kedgeree before this.

23. Velva says:

Look at the combination of flavors, textures and colors-very nice.
    I have been hearing about Downtown Abby. I have not tuned in as yet.

Have a great weekend.
    Velva

24. I’ve seen Downton to the end of the season but I won’t spoil the surprise for you. Shirley Maclaine is joining the cast next season as Lady Grantham’s American mother. I imagine the fur will fly between Shirley and Maggie Smith–quite literally!

I’ve had kedgeree for breakfast in London but have never made the dish. Your recipe looks delicious!!

Best,
    Bonnie

25. Stephanie says:

What a gorgeous looking dish. Sue, your photos keep getting better and better! That definitely does look like comfort food to me!