All of a sudden I’m seeing lots of cheap ripe mangoes out there.   But they’re no use unless you know how to cut them.  If you try to attack them with your vegetable peeler you’ll end up with a slippery slimy mess, and probably a skinned knuckle.

But if you slice off the two sides of the mango, along either side of the pit, and then score the flesh with a sharp knife, cutting down to, but not through, the peel, you can then flip the whole thing inside out and voila, you have perfectly cut little squares.

Just scrape off the fruit and you’re halfway there to an easy salsa.  Recipe here.

Have a great Sunday!

Share →

11 Responses to how to cut a mango

1. Anonymous says:

I cut mango’s like an apple, in wedges down to the pit. Then I set each wedge upright (skin side down) on a board and filet the skin off with a thin sharp knife. I usually get all the skin off at once and rarely have a problem cutting them this way – only if they’re really “stringy”.

2. your mango cutting is perfect! it’s one of those fruits no matter how many times I slice them, I never quite nail it. The peeler is a slippery mess OR I run into the pit with my knife and feel like I waste so much precious flesh!

3. Tricia says:

I love using this method to cut mango but mine never looks this perfect! You must have a gift to pick perfectly ripe fruit because this looks perfectly ripe!

4. Cro Magnon says:

That looks DEE…LISH…OUS. Mango must be one of the best fruits in the world.

5. Kim says:

It takes a little practice but it is so much easier than trying to peel them.

6. Ellen B Cookery says:

Thanks for the lesson. I’ve never cut a mango like this. It’s so pretty!

7. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

they really are the trickiest fruit and I have tried this method a few times and it’s still fiddly!… but WELL worth it!

8. Mary says:

I love this method and once again we are thinking along the same lines! I’m making mango salsa tonight!!

9. What a great tip for cutting a mango. Sometimes they can be impossible to cut nicely. Think I’m going to run by the local taqueria and get some fresh tortillas and make this salsa. OMG it looks good.