Every once in a while my husband will send me links for the blog, and it’s nice because sometimes it’s stuff I never would have noticed, like this one he found this last week, a demonstration of a creative new way to cut your hotdogs for the grill…in a spiral!

You put the hotdog on a skewer and slice into it in a spiral pattern, all the way down to the center.  It spreads out and caramelizes on the grill, and looks really pretty, too.  I don’t eat hotdogs, but I do love chicken apple sausages, (Aidell’s are the best) and I wondered if the technique would work just as well on them.

My spiral cutting could use a little improvement, and my brother in law’s coals were a little on the toasty side, but all in all I’d call it a success.  Just like the video says, the technique exposes more of the meat to the grill for better texture and flavor.  Next time I’ll cut all the way through to the skewer like they said to.

I love it, the cooked sausage is much better at holding all the stuff we like to pile on top, and the cuts make it easier to bite, too.  I’m going to load this one up with mustard and grilled onions.

I’m a convert.  What do you think, are you going to try it?

blog_share_subscribe
Share →

17 Responses to Minimal Monday: Spiral Cut Sausage on the grill

1. […] Burgers 25. Ultimate Homemade (Grilled) Pizza 26. Grilled Zucchini Ribbons 27. Grilled Peaches 28. Spiral Cut Sausage 29. Grilled Eggplant Parmesan 30. Zaatar Crusted Grilled Pork Chops 31. Tilapia Burger 32. Rosemary […]

2. Deborah says:

Shut it! I did these for the 4th of July and loved them. I shall never return to plain hot dogs again. Thanks for sharing!

3. Dom at Belleau Kitchen says:

what an excellent idea!… if we EVER get a summer here I might give these a go!

4. Magnolia Verandah says:

Oh don’t these look good – what a good tip to add a bit of interest to the humble snag!

5. Absolutely! I will try this. I will experiment on our next camping trip. Thanks for the fun idea and tell your husband – good one!

6. Kitchen Belleicious says:

how cool is that. i have to show my husband this.

7. I can’t wait to try this! We love chicken sausage too!

8. Fantastic! can’t wait to try this next time the grill is on – fun and delicious
    Mary x

9. Ellen B Cookery says:

Oh the power of the internet. Our new station showed this video about 3 weeks ago. I just love it! A great idea for sharing and this gives me hope that others see our recipes too.

10. Cool way to cook sausages. I love a new twist on an old summertime grill favorite. Have you ever tried blueberry sausages? They are to die for!

11. Mary says:

I just saw that video last week!!! I am planning to try it too. It looks so cool!

12. Kate says:

Clever! Absolutely will try it. Especially on the raw hot sausages that I always wonder if they are cooked through.
    Thanks to your husband… the guess work is gone.