I know pies take center stage at dessert time tomorrow, but I love little bite sized cookies like this for serving after a big meal.  I I’m one of those people who can’t drink coffee after noon, so these cookies give me a little taste of coffee without the buzz.  If you’re too stuffed for pie, these little cookies will be just the thing.

These cookies are made with cornstarch in the dough, which, along with the butter, gives them a melting texture, they literally dissolve when they hit your mouth.  No crunching or chewing involved.  Espresso powder in the cookie and a touch of cinnamon dusted on the frosting results in a real cappuccino flavor.

Cappuccino Melting Moments
makes approx 40 bite sized cookies
oven to 350
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
1 cup flour
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
3/4 cup cornstarch

• Cream the butter and the espresso powder.  Let the butter sit for 15 minutes to allow the espresso granules to dissolve a bit in the moisture of the butter.  Beat again briefly.
  • Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until the dough forms.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until firm.  You can leave it overnight and bake the next day if you want to.
  • Scoop with a 1 inch scoop, or drop small mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  You want the cookies to be bite sized.  Be sure your baking sheets are cool and not hot from the oven when you set out the dough.
  • Bake for about 11-12 minutes until just lightly browned.  Don’t over bake.
  • Let the cookies sit on the pan for a couple of minutes, then finish cooling them on a rack.  They are delicate, so take care when removing them from the pan.

Frosting
11/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
3 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
milk or cream for thinning
cinnamon for dusting

• Mix everything together into a spreadable frosting, adding just enough milk or cream for the right consistency.
  • Frost the cooled cookies and dust with cinnamon.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This doesn't have to be goodbye ---
CLICK HERE FOR TVFGI'S RSS FEED AND NEVER MISS ONE DELICIOUS BITE!
If you love to get mail, CLICK HERE AND I'LL SEND MY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX.
I'm also on FACEBOOK chatting and sharing recipes every day. If you like to Pin, (and who doesn't?) follow me on PINTEREST
blog_share_subscribe
Share →

15 Responses to Cappuccino Melting Moments

1. Barbara says:

Can we use anything else beside instant espresso? None of the stores near me carry it. Would instant coffee work?

• Sue says:

You probably could, but I’m amazed that you can’t find the espresso, it’s pretty common. In my store it’s way on the top shelf in the coffee section, and it may just be hiding in an unlikely place. You need to find powder, not granules, if you’re going to use coffee. Good luck!

2. Tricia says:

I’ve never had these but they sound great. Melt in your mouth delicious!

3. grace says:

i love melting moments cookies, and a cappuccino version sounds delightful! the frosting is lovely too. :)

4. Hannah says:

Sounds like my kind of cookie! Even better yet that they’re eggless, so it would be a snap to make them vegan. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Magnolia Verandah says:

These just look like they would melt in the mouth, and the cappuccino inference has won me over.

6. it’s not yet even 6:30 on Thanksgiving morning, and i’m up. since i’m not stuffed with pie and other things yet, i could completely go for one of these, and probably for breakfast. or really, just to pop in my mouth while cooking. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

7. Hungry Dog says:

I want to make these in all the versions you’ve ever posted! They sound delicious. Happy Thanksgiving!

8. The fact that they literally dissolve when they hit your mouth sounds pretty amazing. I baked cookies recently w/ cornstarch and they were soft, but not dissolve-like soft. These sound so interesting and love the flavors!

9. I bet these are scrumptious.

10. Little melty cookies sound lovely! Have a great Thanksgiving!