At this point all that’s going to get done has been done.  There’s no use fretting about what could have been done better, or differently, or what didn’t get done at all.  I’m beginning to realize that that’s the sneaky, dark side of Christmas, all that self doubt and insecurity.  I’m going to try to shrug that off this year.

Today’s post will be my last until after Christmas.  I had planned to make these adorable present shaped cookies, but it wasn’t to be.  In fact it was a total disaster.  I think the synapses must have been firing off on the entirely wrong side of my brain when I attempted them.  But, as I say, I’m learning to shrug these little holiday mishaps off.

I’m looking ahead with Kuku Sabzi, a Middle Eastern version of a frittata.  This dish is traditionally served during the Persian New Year, which is in the spring.  It’s heavily herbed, and lightly spiced.  It usually contains walnuts and barberries, which I left out— I didn’t want anything to detract from the wonderful mass of green herbs.

This frittata makes all other fritattas look frumpy.  It’s sleek, fresh, fragrant and green.  It’s also versatile; it can be a simple dinner for you after a day of last minute shopping, an appetizer, or part of a holiday brunch menu.

Herbs are notoriously difficult to measure accurately.  The important thing here is that you will have more greenery than egg.  I’m going to guess that, after chopping, you will want at least 2 cups of the herbs.  Don’t skimp, they are what make this frittata special.
My recipe is adapted from this one on The Kitchn.
Persian Herb Frittata
oven to 400
6 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
fresh cracked pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cumin
1 Tbsp flour
handful of parsley, chopped
handful of cilantro, chopped
handful of dill, chopped
handful of mint, chopped
handful of chives, chopped or snipped
6 or 7 scallions, sliced
1 leek, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp butter (or olive oil)

• Beat the eggs with the flour and spices.  Mix in the herbs, scallions and leeks.
  • Heat the butter or oil in a cast iron pan.  Pour in the egg mixture and spread out evenly.
  • Cook for a few minutes on medium heat until the edges start to set.
  • Put the pan in the oven for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
  • Serve hot or at room temperature.

Tagged with →
Share →

22 Responses to Persian Mixed Herb Frittata (Kuku Sabzi)

1. oshin says:

This isn’t authentic at all. Shouldn’t be called Persian. It’s just another herb frittata.

2. […] Persian Mixed Herb Frittata | The View from Great Island […]

3. this is the sexiest frittata i have seriously ever seen. i love all the herbs in there! Gorgeous. and i bet it is amazing.

4. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Sue, hope your Christmas was filled with laughter and love, and you’re so right – it’s so easy to expect way too much of ourselves, especially at this time of year. Love your attitude and your lovely, flavorful frittata, it looks amazing, just the kind of thing I’m craving right now!

5. Mary says:

I stopped by to wish you a Merry Christmas and will be leaving with yet another of your recipes. There is no hope for me :-). Have a wonderful holiday. Hugs and Christmas blessings…Mary

6. Another great and may I say beautiful recipe/dish? I seem to make only one kind of frittata and I think I’m ready for another…and this is the one! Can’t wait to try it. Lovely photos…the last one with an herb holly arrangement, darling! Merry Christmas!!
    xo
    annie

7. belleau kitchen says:

god you’re so right about the creeping doubt… that’s why christmas ends for me today and fun and food starts tomorrow… my golden rule is that if I haven’t got it all sorted by the day before christmas eve then I may as well forget it!… GORGEOUS fritata… may have to whip one up tomorrow… much love and merry christmas x

8. Claudia says:

All those gorgeous herbs and spices. Mmmmm. Perfect! Happy Holidays! Hope you have the merriest week!

9. Magnolia Verandah says:

Sometimes a light frittata is all you want or need before the onslaught of all the festive eating, and this one has really caught my eye -loving those herbs. Merry Christmas to you and look forward to your blog in 2013.

10. Tabitha says:

Just made your spice rum cranberry sauce – I am licking my lips, thanks for all the great recipes.
    Merry Christmas!

11. My husband and I were just talking about our dining plans for after the holidays which will include many salads and meatless meals :) This looks beautiful and delicious!

Merry Christmas, Sue!!!

12. katrina says:

Oh, this looks sooooo tasty!

13. I love green:-)
    This looks so healthy and beautiful:-)
    I offer you mes meilleurs voeux de la saison :-)
    And I am going to rethink the recipe the way you and I seem to think and will get back to you..
    Hope to share 2013..with you…:-)