It was about 4 o’clock the other day, my Beef Barley Soup was bubbling away on the stove, and I was just starting to wonder what else we should have with our soup for dinner.  For some reason I was coming up blank, so I did what I always do when I come up blank—I Google-d the question.  And lo and behold there were several answers to my query “What to serve with beef barley soup”.

Wuick Rolls, Whole Grain Rolls

Never mind that the answer was a resounding ‘crusty bread and a salad’.  Well, I could have come up with that myself.  But it got me thinking…should I make a mad dash to the store to pick up a loaf?

Whole Grain Dinner Rolls

And then I had a much better idea.  I remembered seeing these rolls on Debby’s site, A Feast for the Eyes, and I remembered that she claimed that they were made from start to finish in about an hour.  I know, sounds more like a Lens Crafter’s commercial than a good dinner roll.  But somehow I trusted Debby and I’m glad I did.  We had fluffy dinner rolls with our soup last night and they were just as fast as Debby promised.

Whole Grain Rolls

I played a little bit with the recipe because I was going for a little more whole grain presence.  Mine were fluffy, chewy, hearty and lovely.  I will be playing with this recipe for a while forward, trying out different flours.  I used my stand mixer with its dough hook to do the work.  You can of course do these by hand.

The trick with so many yeast breads is finding the perfect warm spot in your house where the yeast can hang out and do its thing.  For the first rise Debby suggests that you can actually use your oven—set it at its lowest setting for a minute or two, then shut it off.  It will remain warm and cozy, just make sure it isn’t too hot.  If you can find a spot that’s between 80 and 90 degrees F, that’s ideal.

Quick Whole Grain Oat Dinner Rolls    ~~~adapted from A Feast for the Eyes
makes 9 rolls
1 1/2 packets (3 1/2 tsp) dry active yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm water (between 105F and 115F)
1/8 cup sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup milk
more melted butter for brushing after baking

• In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, put the water, sugar and yeast.  Stir to combine and let sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
  • Meanwhile, mix the flours and salt together and set aside.
  • Melt the butter, then add the milk and heat gently to about 110F.  You can do this in a saucepan or in the microwave, but use a digital thermometer to be accurate.  If it gets too hot, let it cool to the correct temperature.
  • When cooled, pour the warm milk and butter into the bowl with the yeast, and then add about 2 1/2 cups of the flour.  Turn on the mixer and mix for about a minute.  While the mixer is going, gradually add in enough of the rest of the flour to form a soft dough— it will start to come away from the side of the bowl.  Let the mixer knead the dough on low for about 2 more minutes.  It will be elastic and a little sticky.
  • Take the dough a put it in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to completely coat with oil.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set in a warm place to rise, about 20-25 minutes.
  • Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and divide into thirds, then divide the thirds into three parts, for a total of 9 rolls.
  • Take each piece of dough and form a ball in your hand, stretching corners around to the back and giving them a twist.  The top should be domed and rounded.  Set each roll in a buttered square baking dish.  Cover the dish with a towel and set in a warm place to rise, about 20-25 minutes.
  • Preheat the oven to 400 while the rolls rise. Bake for about 18-20 minutes until golden.
  • Remove from the pan and set on a rack.  Brush with melted butter immediately, and sprinkle on a few oats for garnish if you like.

I know a lot of you have your own favorite dinner rolls, and I’d love to hear about them—feel free to link to them in the comments.  This could become habit forming :)

blog_share_subscribe
Share →

35 Responses to Quick Whole Grain Oat Rolls

1. […] Quick Whole Grain Oat Rolls by The View from Great Island  […]

2. Donna K. says:

I love this recipe. However, any ideas of what kind of flour I can use (gluten free) instead of the wheat?

‘Love your recipes!!

3. Unknown says:

Those look delish! My trick for finding the perfect spot for the dough to rise is to take a small (1 quart) saucepan filled with water and bring to a boil. Then place the saucepan and the bowl of dough in the oven to rise. This creates a warm moist environment for the yeast to work its magic. It works every time….

4. These look great. You should consider posting them to yeastspotting. Nice job! I might have to try these sometime.

5. Wonderful rolls! I could live on soup and bread in the winter. Pinning!

6. Magnolia Verandah says:

These look perfect – I intend to serve mini lamb burgers as one of the courses to guests on Australia Day 26 Jan these would be perfect. Will trial this weekend. Thanks

7. Eileen says:

These rolls look so good! I can just imagine the moist crumb… :) Definitely sounds perfect with a bowl of thick stew!

8. belleau kitchen says:

thank you so much for posting the recipe… these really do look completely divine and just gorgeous… and so damn quick too… amazing stuff!

9. When you posted a teaser about these rolls, I wondered where you got the recipe. Thanks so much for the shout! I love that you used oat flour, and then added oats on the outside. Very clever! It’s amazing that you can have rolls in an hour, isn’t it? I made these a week ago, when I made some homemade soup. You did a great job.
    Debby

10. Joy Bee says:

Those look great. I am always looking for good whole wheat rolls and breads.

11. Mary Younkin says:

These are gorgeous rolls and they look absolutely perfect inside too. A bread in truly under an hour? I’m going to play with this recipe soon. Thanks, Sue!

12. Dinner rolls are a real treat in my house. I do like the idea of all the whole grain flours. They really do look fabulous.

13. Amy says:

Awesome! I just saw the kitchn feature a “no-time” bread that can be made in under an hour. Sounds like a great thing to know for when someone wants homemade bread, fast (always happens). Yours look so great, love the different flours.

14. Anonymous says:

I was excited to come across this recipe until I read it. Ingredients call for equal parts of flour, 3 cups, and then the instructions says to add 3 1/2 cups to the yeast mixture and gradually add in the rest. Someone didn’t proofread and I guess it is an experimental recipe.

• Kate says:

Bread making has liquid to flour variables dependent on choices made in either ingredient. Humidity also makes exact measurements impossible as well.
      It isn’t a “proof reading” issue… it’s par of the course.
      Try the recipe with the minimal measurement and add additional flour as “kneaded”
      Ha!

• Thanks Kate, but I did make a typo, I meant to say 2 1/2 cups, and I’ve fixed it. :)

15. I love these! I made honey/oatmeal dinner rolls a few months ago and threw some raisins in there, too. They were really full of texture and good, but they weren’t 1 hour. Standard 3-4 hour yeasted bread type recipe.

I am just blown away, Sue, that these are wheat, with oats, and you made them in an hour! The trickiest things to get to rise, and you did it…in an hour. And buttery. I want one! Pinning!

16. Thank you..less than an hour sounds nice..and they look good..big bread fans here..soft breads:)

17. You’ve made me very happy Sue :) These are wonderful and in only an hour? I am sold. Love the photo with the pool of butter between the rolls – on my … I am drooling.

18. Oh those look beautiful! I’m hopeless with yeast but perhaps these rolls are good to start practicing with!
    mary x