Just one ingredient.

Tangerine Sorbet 3

Fresh squeezed, bright orange, and naturally sweet.

Don’t think you can wait until the warm weather to enjoy this incredible treat—by then the tangerines will be long gone.  I used big juicy honey tangerines, they have a vivid orange color and I think a more pronounced ‘orange’ flavor than regular oranges.

Juice your tangerines and then freeze it solid in a zip lock bag.

Break up the frozen juice into a food processor or blender.

Process until smooth, and then pop it back in the freezer.

Let it firm up for a few hours and then enjoy!

Fresh Tangerine Sorbet

3 cups fresh squeezed tangerine juice (strain out any seeds and pulp)

• Pour the juice into a gallon zip lock bag  Seal it securely and lay it flat on a tray.
  • Put it in the freezer until frozen solid.
  • Break up the frozen juice and put it in a food processor or strong blender.  Blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to break up large chunks and help the machine along.  Work quickly to minimize melting.
  • Spread the sorbet into a metal loaf pan, cover with foil, and put back in the freezer to firm up to a scoop-able consistency.  This will take several hours.

Notes:  This sorbet will be the best scooping consistency several hours after it is made.  The longer is sits in the freezer the harder it will get.  If it hardens you have several options.  You can leave it out at room temperature, or in the refrigerator, to soften before scooping.  You can scrape the hard sorbet with a fork like a granita, or you can let it soften, re-process until smooth, and serve immediately.

This sorbet tastes like fresh juice in frozen form.  It’s wonderful as is, but you can also fiddle with it if you want.  You can add the juice of a lemon and 1/2 cup of sugar to the mix for a sweeter taste.  You can also muddle some mint into the fresh tangerine juice (be sure to strain it out before freezing) for a fresh minty background.

Tangerine Sorbet 1

Have you heard of the “One Ingredient Diet”?  If I ever go on it, I’m going to have this for dessert :)

Tangerine Sorbet 2

Share →

18 Responses to Day #5 of All Citrus Week: Tangerine Sorbet

1. How cool that you don’t need an ice cream maker and it’s so pretty too.
    Sam

2. Eileen says:

This sorbet sounds so good–and honey tangerines are one of my favorites. I love seeing how everyone is using the best fruits of the season! I might actually juice a whole bunch of whatever orange looks best and freeze the results for a couple months so I could make this in summer too. :)

3. Charlie says:

Looks and sounds delicious.
    I love sorbet!

Add a little cinnamon or nutmeg for a different experience.

Have a Joyful Day :~D
    Charlie

4. The Café Sucré Farine says:

What a delightful, simple yet elegant dessert! And it’s super healthy too, wow, this sorbet has it all! Love your photos, so pretty!

5. this looks so refreshing

6. Joy Bee says:

This looks great. What a great way to make sorbet. I like that it is so simple, just toss it in a food processor. I tried to make sorbet once before and I had to stir and mix it every couple of hours while freezing it. I like your way so much more.

7. thyme Sarah says:

Really?? As easy as that to get that sweet soft beautiful sorbet? That just makes my day!

8. Oh oh oh!!!! I need to make this – thank you so much Sue! Look at the juice – so much orange color I can almost smell it. Thank you a million times over!

9. How beautiful and appetizing!

10. Such a beautiful color – and so fresh and delicious :)
    Mary x

11. Mary Younkin says:

Oh, heaven. I was planning to make a clementine sorbet this weekend! Are we sharing a brain again or what? The shot with the mint is gorgeous and now I’m craving an apple crisp too!

12. THIS. LOOKS. AMAZING. and after seeing this…maybe I’m ready for the one ingredient diet…jk, never, ever. But this looks so beautiful. Your photography captures the texture of the sorbet beautifully…and the color and those little glass bowls…perfect in every way!

and one more thing…this is making me miss CA!