114-001

You can’t afford not to make this.  If it turns out you love it, you’ll have a ridiculously easy appetizer in your arsenal for the rest of your life. And since black grapes are super healthy, and even known to slow down the aging process, that could be a pretty long time…

Grab the best grapes you can find.  They can be any color, but I chose black because I think they have the best flavor.  Be sure to taste them first; if the grapes taste blah, chances are cooking them isn’t going to improve the situation.   If they taste great fresh, they will taste fabulous roasted.  And don’t forget— they need to be seedless!  (Trader Joe’s has a good selection)

Toss the whole grapes with salt and pepper, a little olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, a splash of lemon juice and some fresh thyme.  Roast the whole lot in a hot oven and you’ll end up with squooshy, slightly shriveled, fruit with an intense grape flavor and a beautifully saturated sweet and savory sauce.

If you want you can get a little boozy with this appetizer, add some red wine to the olive oil and vinegar. Or some cognac.

111-002

Spoon it over the most decadent cheese you can think of… in my case that would be St Andre triple cream.  That stuff is epic.  Pile it all on a simple cracker and see if I’m not right.

Roasted Black Grapes
oven to 425F
1 heaping cup black seddless grapes, rinsed and dried
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp while balsamic vinegar
juice of 1/2 a small lemon
salt and fresh cracked pepper
fresh thyme leaves

• Toss everything together and spread out on a baking sheet.  Roast for about 15 minutes, giving the pan a shake every now and then.
  • Transfer to a serving dish, making sure to get all the good sauce, and serve with cheese and plain crackers or crusty bread.

Am I right, or am I right?

This doesn't have to be goodbye ---
CLICK HERE FOR TVFGI'S RSS FEED AND NEVER MISS ONE DELICIOUS BITE!
If you love to get mail, CLICK HERE AND I'LL SEND MY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX.
I'm also on FACEBOOK chatting and sharing recipes every day. If you like to Pin, (and who doesn't?) follow me on PINTEREST
blog_share_subscribe
Share →

22 Responses to Roasted Black Grapes

1. Shae says:

This! This, I am bookmarking. Thank you. :-)

2. Jan Janzen says:

I finally made these, and they are wonderful! I couldn’t even wait for them to cool. Don’t be impatient like me; it’s better to let them chill – they have even more flavor! Oh, the juices!

3. Ruth Cobb says:

Would be great with Brie or Camembert

4. Gram Mary says:

Black grapes are my favorite grapes and I LOVE roasted black grapes. I have only roasted them with just olive oil and a sprinkling of kosher salt. I don’t have to tell you how unbelievably good they are. But I must give your recipe a try. The balsamic vinegar and the thyme — oohhh!

I have a recipe for a roasted grape foccacia that encases roasted black or red grapes between thin layers of sweet cardamom bread dough and then some grapes are pressed into the top before it is baked. This is on my list of breads to make. It sounds divine.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. :)

5. the roasted grapes! You know how much i love them. yes, you are right. :)

6. This is delicious..Just made some:)

7. belleau kitchen says:

What a genius idea! I live this kind of sweet/ savoury thing. Must give this a go. Thank you x

8. Kitchen Belleicious says:

okay so how did you know this family of mine is in love with our grapes- not green ones- that would be a shame- its the purple and black ones we love the most and I can sooooo see me doing this like NOW

9. Magnolia Verandah says:

Never roasted grapes but you have tempted me and how good do they look with that cheese.

10. Averie @ Averie Cooks says:

I didn’t realize JUST HOW good roasted grapes were til a year or so ago when I finally tried them. What was I waiting for. Yours make me crave them!

11. The Café Sucré Farine says:

Love everything about this, it’s easy, quick, beautiful and sounds fabulous!

12. Eileen says:

This is such a great idea! I’m definitely going to have to give it a try when the grapes show up at the farmer’s market this year. :)

13. You are right! This looks amazing! I hope I can find some beautiful grapes like those.

14. What an amazing idea, this is one I’ll be trying as soon as I can find some wonderful grapes. Thank you.

15. bellini says:

I have seen this and thought it would be fantastic with goat cheese.

16. Anxious to try!

We love St-André..even on anniversaries:)
    I remember our 25th in Provincetown..Herring Cove Beach..picnic basket..St-André..baguette,wine..the dunes..
    I will always love it?..That was almost 15 yrs ago..Time flies.

17. You’re SO right. I want that whole spread in front of me asap.

18. Tricia Buice says:

I think you must be right. I can’t believe this recipe – I would have never thought to roast grapes. Epic? Incredible? I must try this asap! Thanks Sue – it sounds amazing!

19. I’ll try this one as it looks easy an delicious!