So, here’s the story on this ice cream.  It was delicious, it has the subtle but unmistakable tangy taste of rhubarb, with chunks of dark chocolate to keep it from being too retiring.    But my fresh rhubarb was on the pale side, and so the color didn’t come through in the finished ice cream as vibrantly as I’d hoped.  It’s actually a little pinker than it shows up in the photos, but without the visual cue you probably can’t imagine the flavor.  So from a blogging/photographic standpoint this was a failure, but otherwise, it was fun to make, and tasted really good.  If you can find yourself some bright red rhubarb this spring, I recommend giving it a try.

Roasted Rhubarb and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

The dark chocolate chunks were a last minute whim.  I was watching the pale cameo pink ice cream churn around in the machine and my chocoholic side got the better of me.  I grabbed a couple of dark chocolate bars, chopped them up and threw them in.

I broke out my new ice cream maker for this recipe.  It’s the same one I used to have but got rid of in a fit of ‘lightening our load’ when we moved a couple of years ago.  It’s so quick and easy and I love that you can watch the whole process through the open top.  I dipped my spoon in a couple of times while it was churning.

Roasting the rhubarb brings out and intensifies the flavor.  It only takes a few minutes in a hot oven.  The puree is added to sugar, heavy cream and milk and then into the machine.  If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can make this with a food processor or good blender.  Check out my Blackberry Ice Cream post for details.  Basically you freeze the mixture in a large zip lock baggie and then break it up into your processor and process till smooth and creamy.  It works!

Roasted Rhubarb and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
oven to 400F
1 lb fresh rhubarb, washed, trimmed, and cut in 2 inch chunks.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod reserved
1 cup sugar
juice of half a lemon
10 oz dark chocolate, chopped

• Put the rhubarb on a silpat lined baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes, just until it softens and starts to release its juice.
  • Puree the hot rhubarb in a blender or food processor.  Process until very smooth.  Add the lemon juice and set aside.
  • Heat the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla seeds, and pod to a simmer.  Take off the heat and let steep until cool.
  • Strain the cream mixture to remove the vanilla pods, and whisk it with the rhubarb puree.  Chill in the refrigerator until very cold.
  • At this point taste the mixture.  Add a little more lemon juice if needed.  Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and process according to your machine’s directions.  When it is almost finished, add in the chocolate chunks.

I know most people would have started off with plain vanilla or chocolate for their first try.  But I couldn’t resist jumping right in and experimenting.  If you’re going to make flavors that you can easily find in every grocery store, what’s the point of having an ice cream maker?

Roasted Rhubarb and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream 2
Tagged with →
Share →

23 Responses to Roasted Rhubarb and Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

1. eklie says:

What was the purpose of the lemon? To preserve the color of the rhubarb? I’ve seen lemon used in ice cream recipes to adjust the sweetness aft the base is made…but rhubarb is so tart already. When I made it I thought the hint of lemon distracted from the rhubarb and added to much tartness – I’d leave it out. The dark chocolate was a great pairing. Substituting brown sugar added depth of flavor – though, the color wasn’t as pretty.

• The brown sugar is an interesting switch, I’ll have to try that. I added the lemon I guess because I really wanted to maintain that characteristic tang of the rhubarb, and ice cream is so sweet and tends to diminish that tart and tangy element.

2. diatryma says:

This looks very good and my roommate and I are definitely going to try it, with a few adaptations for lack of vanilla beans and such. When does the sugar go in?

3. i have never had rhubarb ice cream before; not ever once. it’s a shame, because rhubarb is so brilliant. this one is also on the “ice creams to make once my maker is fixed” list. :)

4. grace says:

first rhubarb ice cream i’ve ever seen, most definitely. my experience with rhubarb is extremely limited, but i think i’d like it better this way than in a pie.

5. Chris Scheuer says:

I would NOT call this a failure Sue, it looks quite amazing to me. I never thought of rhubarb with chocolate but it’s quite brilliant!

6. This is the first year I’ll be able to pick some stalks off of my rhubarb plants that I started a couple of years ago. I’m so pumped to try some rhubarb recipes soon. This one is so unique and delicious.

7. Oh yum, a great way to use rhubarb other than in a pie. Ice cream is a summer weakness for me.

8. Anonymous says:

I have to say, this is so creative! I’ve never seen an ice cream flavor like this, I think I have to get an ice cream maker just to be able to make some!!

9. I love the idea of this combination. So many rhubarb recipes…so much snow covering my plants! I’m sure spring will come some day…maybe July!

10. Thanks, Dom. I think the pale color seems so retro because we’re used to everything being artificially colored. It’s such a soothing shade.

11. belleau kitchen says:

Love the roasted rhubarb idea. I adore this kind if ice cream. Beautiful stuff. Live the light pink colour too. Very retro!

12. Steph C. says:

Do you think this would work with frozen rhubarb? I vacuum sealed lots last year after having a wonderful yield, and still have them. Spring hasn’t gotten to us yet (Alaska), so it will be a while before I have fresh to work with.

• I think it would, but not the roasting part. I would just stew it briefly and then puree it. Lucky you to have that stash in your freezer!

• Steph C. says:

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try this. Rhubarb grows really nicely in our climate (and thrives on neglect) and I usually get 2-3 harvests out of it. That being said, this year there is 3′ of snow on it (atypical for May). Chopping and vacuum sealing into 1 or 2 cups packets means we can have rhubarb crisps, etc. year ’round. :)

13. Averie @ Averie Cooks says:

THIRD blog in a row with rhubarb today. Clearly, the universe is telling me something here. But your post is the most sweet tooth-oriented. So I am the most happy :)

14. hobby baker says:

It is beautiful and the puree looks pretty luscious too. At first I wrinkled my nose at the flavor combination but then I remembered how much I adored a pomegranate and dark chocolate ice cream I had tried and thought of all the chocolate covered tart berries that are so good. Now I really want to try this out! Your pictures are gorgeous, I love the scoop shot. :)

15. Tricia Buice says:

I love the light pink tint and ice cream can never be bad. What a lovely creative combination. Yum! Way to start the weekend Sue!