This is the perfect storm of recipes.  Just 2 ingredients, 30 seconds, and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history…you make it in the same jar you store it in…and it’s all in time for the summer salad season.  Just think about it—the freshest, creamiest, purest mayonnaise possible, in 30 seconds.  That’s way less time than it takes to grab a jar at the supermarket and wait on the checkout line.

I think I’m so excited about this because the last time I made homemade mayonnaise the result was great, but I stood by the food processor for many minutes sloooooowly drizzling the oil according to the classic method for making mayo.  Actually the French chefs use a whisk, which is even more laborious.  My arm literally ached the next morning. If you’ve made your own mayonnaise the old fashioned way and loved it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating how to make this, but they are all a little different, and I went through several attempts at this before figuring it out.  From my experience, it’s the egg being at room temperature that makes the difference.  I made it several times, with safflower oil, and then pure olive oil.  You can also make it with virgin olive oil, but it will be richer, more yellow, and have a stronger taste.  That can be a p;us in some recipes.  You can flavor your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and mustard, and salt, but it isn’t necessary.

Yes you need an immersion blender to make this, but you should have one anyway, they aren’t expensive and there’s a lot you can do with them from pureeing soups right in the pot to making smoothies.  I have to say this was the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.

30-Second Mayonnaise

What You Will Need

• 1 whole egg (use pasteurized for safety) at room temperature
  • 1 cup mild oil, like safflower, canola, or pure olive oil
  • 1 mason jar or other jar that is just wide enough to fit your immersion blender (I used a Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Jar)

1. Make sure your egg and oil are at room temperature, this is important. Put your egg and oil in the bottom of a glass jar that fits your immersion blender. Ideally, it should be a close fit.
  2. Put the immersion blender down into the cup and rest it at the bottom. Turn it on and blend, keeping it at the bottom until you start to see the mayo thicken. Then gently raise the blender head to blend the rest of the mayo. Stop the machine when you see that the entire jar has thickened. Don’t over-blend or the mayo will 'break'. Note: If you see that the mixture turns creamy before you have raised the blender, you can stop.
  3. Give it a stir and then cap the jar and store in the fridge. Eat it up within the week.

Notes

If you want to flavor your mayo, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of mustard. That’s the classic seasoning, but of course you can do anything you want, it’s your mayonnaise ;)

Pasteurized eggs are safe to use raw because they have been heated just enough to kill bacteria, but not enough to cook the eggs.  Try to find them at your local store, but if you can’t, you can easily pasteurize your own eggs at home, directions HERE.

I’m already planning to make a simple old fashioned macaroni salad with my fresh mayonnaise.  What will you make with yours?

Tagged with →
This doesn't have to be goodbye ---
CLICK HERE FOR TVFGI'S RSS FEED AND NEVER MISS ONE DELICIOUS BITE!
If you love to get mail, CLICK HERE AND I'LL SEND MY POSTS TO YOUR INBOX.
I'm also on FACEBOOK chatting and sharing recipes every day. If you like to Pin, (and who doesn't?) follow me on PINTEREST
blog_share_subscribe
Share →

51 Responses to Minimal Monday: 30-Second Mayonnaise

1. Evey says:

Mine looked perfect until I tired to raise the hand blender slowly. The blender was suctioned to the bottom of the jar and as I tried to pull it up it came up quick and in a split second it was ruined :(

• Sue says:

Hmm, It sounds like your blender did the job without needing to be raised up, I will amend the instruction to mention that, thanks, and I hope you give it another try.

2. M says:

Mind blown!! Seriously! I also have used the food processor, pour the oil VERY slowly in method in the past and this had changed my world! Thank you!!!

• Sue says:

Thanks M — I agree that this is such a huge improvement over the old ‘drizzle so slowly your arm aches’ method ;)

3. lulu's mama says:

I cannot believe how simple and delicious this is. I used lime (ran out of lemon) and brown mustard. So good. Trying lemon and dill next time. Thanks for the tips, the room temp egg and immersion blender make a huge difference, and you’re right, I already had everything I needed .

4. amy davis says:

Turned out perfect! Thanks for sharing this marvelous recipe, I’ll be making mayo more often now. :)

• Sue says:

I’m so happy to hear it Amy — you have to try a flavored version next, like dill or lemon. Or chipotle. Or…the possibilities are endless :)

5. R. Gunn says:

You mentioned you would give directions for pasterizing eggs but I don’t see directions. Would love to know. thanks.
    R.Gunn

• Sue says:

That is a link in the post, it will take you to an article explaining the process, which is basically this—
      To pasteurize large eggs, place them in a saucepan filled with water and fitted with a digital thermometer. Turn on the heat and bring the water up to 140F.
      Keep the water temperature at 140F for 3 minutes (and no more than 142F), reducing the heat on the burner if necessary. Remove eggs from hot water and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
      Store in the refrigerator until needed or use right away.
      Jumbo sized eggs need to 5 minutes in 140F water.
      (source: BakingBites.com)

6. Amber says:

I love homemade mayo! I usually use a food processor but an immersion blender would be much easier. Thanks for this!

• Sue says:

I think the immersion blender works better, at least from my experience. I think it’s because all the blending is concentrated in the small space and the mayo just ‘blooms’ instantaneously! Enjoy Amber!

7. I was wondering if you could use coconut oil? Has anyone tried that?

8. […] some cream, add some maple syrup, whir until thick.  Boom.  I’ve also seen a recipe for homemade mayo that is just oil, egg, and salt.  Totally trying that.  Mine is a cuisinart, and I just got the […]

9. vida says:

Didn’t work…I guess there’s a reason why it takes all people and chefs, longer to make mayo

10. Mary S says:

If this isn’t the bee’s knees!! Thank you, thank you!!

11. Brenda says:

I love this recipe! I have made my own mayo this way for years and I was amazed that a bit of lemon juice, salt, and dry mustard makes it taste like store bought mayo! In the past I have made it with curry, garlic, and (my personal favorite) dropped in one canned chipotle pepper! So many possibilities to try!

12. lea says:

Hi sue! Mine didn’t work…all was room temp….used farm eggs. I’ve blended now for 3 mins. No change. what coulda happened?

13. Foodiewife says:

I, once, tried to make my own mayo in a food processor but didn’t succeed. Aha! This looks so much easier. Of course I have an immersion blender. Love it! I can’t imagine using a jar of it within a week–unless I make my creamy coleslaw or ranch dressing. Love this!

14. […] enough.  The hard part is finding the time.  Along the same vein, this recipe for 2 ingredient homemade mayo is intriguing.  Mayo, usually made with soy, is verbotten for […]

15. saeed ahmed thanvi says:

World’s Most Popular Cars, Hot Speed Cars, Hot Cars with Hot Girls, Cars Latest Pictures with all info, Latest updates Cars Models and Company Cars, Strange Vehicles, Concept Cars, Top 10 Expensive Cars in the World.
    Visit this Link for More Strange Vehicles and Cars with Latest info and Pictures
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

16. About what blending speed would you recommend– somewhere in the middle? Does it make a difference?

17. Pink Patisserie says:

This is brilliant and fantastic! Homemade mayo is the best but I, like you got frustrated with fiddling with the processor and drizzling and etc, etc. Thank you for sharing this!

18. Magnolia Verandah says:

Oh my goodness how simple is that! I am off to make some potato salad.

19. I was just making deviled eggs yesterday and thinking how much better they’d be with homemade mayo. There’s no excuse with your version!

20. RC1956 says:

Is it possible to use a food processor. Haven’t got an immersion blender yet but want too

21. Chris Scheuer says:

Very cool, I have to try it!

22. This looks like so much fun. I’ve done the whisking thing but this sounds so much better. Thanks!

23. Wow, I had no idea it was possible to make mayonnaise this way. I can’t wait to give this a try!

24. Great idea and pictures. Thanks! We’re having a party at Tumbleweed Contessa and I’d love it of you linked this to What’d You Do This Weekend?

Love people. Cook them tasty food.
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

25. Anonymous says:

When you flavor, do you add the lemon and salt before or after you blend?

26. Best use EVER of an immersion blender! I just gave one away in conjunction with my cookbook last week. Wish I would have known about this- would have told people about it. I need to make this, asap! Step by step pics are super helpful, too!