This is the perfect storm of recipes.  Just 2 ingredients, 30 seconds, and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history…you make it in the same jar you store it in…and it’s all in time for the summer salad season.  Just think about it—the freshest, creamiest, purest mayonnaise possible, in 30 seconds.  That’s way less time than it takes to grab a jar at the supermarket and wait on the checkout line.

I think I’m so excited about this because the last time I made homemade mayonnaise the result was great, but I stood by the food processor for many minutes sloooooowly drizzling the oil according to the classic method for making mayo.  Actually the French chefs use a whisk, which is even more laborious.  My arm literally ached the next morning. If you’ve made your own mayonnaise the old fashioned way and loved it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating how to make this, but they are all a little different, and I went through several attempts at this before figuring it out.  From my experience, it’s the egg being at room temperature that makes the difference.  I made it several times, with safflower oil, and then pure olive oil.  You can also make it with virgin olive oil, but it will be richer, more yellow, and have a stronger taste.  That can be a p;us in some recipes.  You can flavor your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and mustard, and salt, but it isn’t necessary.

Yes you need an immersion blender to make this, but you should have one anyway, they aren’t expensive and there’s a lot you can do with them from pureeing soups right in the pot to making smoothies.  I have to say this was the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.

30-Second Mayonnaise

What You Will Need

• 1 whole egg (use pasteurized for safety) at room temperature
  • 1 cup mild oil, like safflower, canola, or pure olive oil
  • 1 mason jar or other jar that is just wide enough to fit your immersion blender (I used a Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Jar)

1. Make sure your egg and oil are at room temperature, this is important. Put your egg and oil in the bottom of a glass jar that fits your immersion blender. Ideally, it should be a close fit.
  2. Put the immersion blender down into the cup and rest it at the bottom. Turn it on and blend, keeping it at the bottom until you start to see the mayo thicken. Then gently raise the blender head to blend the rest of the mayo. Stop the machine when you see that the entire jar has thickened. Don’t over-blend.
  3. Give it a stir and then cap the jar and store in the fridge. Eat it up within the week.

Notes

If you want to flavor your mayo, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of mustard. That’s the classic seasoning, but of course you can do anything you want, it’s your mayonnaise ;)

Pasteurized eggs are safe to use raw because they have been heated just enough to kill bacteria, but not enough to cook the eggs.  Try to find them at your local store, but if you can’t, you can easily pasteurize your own eggs at home, directions here.

I’m already planning to make a simple old fashioned macaroni salad with my fresh mayonnaise.  What will you make with yours?

One year ago today—

Share →

30 Responses to Minimal Monday: 30-Second Mayonnaise

1. […] some cream, add some maple syrup, whir until thick.  Boom.  I’ve also seen a recipe for homemade mayo that is just oil, egg, and salt.  Totally trying that.  Mine is a cuisinart, and I just got the […]

2. vida says:

Didn’t work…I guess there’s a reason why it takes all people and chefs, longer to make mayo

• Sue says:

I’m so sorry it didn’t work for you, Vida. I’ve made it many times with great success. It is dependent on everything being ‘just so’, though. Your oil and egg need to be at room temperature, for instance I hope you give it another try!

3. Mary S says:

If this isn’t the bee’s knees!! Thank you, thank you!!

4. Brenda says:

I love this recipe! I have made my own mayo this way for years and I was amazed that a bit of lemon juice, salt, and dry mustard makes it taste like store bought mayo! In the past I have made it with curry, garlic, and (my personal favorite) dropped in one canned chipotle pepper! So many possibilities to try!

5. lea says:

Hi sue! Mine didn’t work…all was room temp….used farm eggs. I’ve blended now for 3 mins. No change. what coulda happened?

6. Foodiewife says:

I, once, tried to make my own mayo in a food processor but didn’t succeed. Aha! This looks so much easier. Of course I have an immersion blender. Love it! I can’t imagine using a jar of it within a week–unless I make my creamy coleslaw or ranch dressing. Love this!

7. […] enough.  The hard part is finding the time.  Along the same vein, this recipe for 2 ingredient homemade mayo is intriguing.  Mayo, usually made with soy, is verbotten for […]

8. saeed ahmed thanvi says:

World’s Most Popular Cars, Hot Speed Cars, Hot Cars with Hot Girls, Cars Latest Pictures with all info, Latest updates Cars Models and Company Cars, Strange Vehicles, Concept Cars, Top 10 Expensive Cars in the World.
    Visit this Link for More Strange Vehicles and Cars with Latest info and Pictures
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

9. About what blending speed would you recommend– somewhere in the middle? Does it make a difference?

10. Pink Patisserie says:

This is brilliant and fantastic! Homemade mayo is the best but I, like you got frustrated with fiddling with the processor and drizzling and etc, etc. Thank you for sharing this!

11. Magnolia Verandah says:

Oh my goodness how simple is that! I am off to make some potato salad.

12. I was just making deviled eggs yesterday and thinking how much better they’d be with homemade mayo. There’s no excuse with your version!

13. RC1956 says:

Is it possible to use a food processor. Haven’t got an immersion blender yet but want too

14. Chris Scheuer says:

Very cool, I have to try it!

15. This looks like so much fun. I’ve done the whisking thing but this sounds so much better. Thanks!

16. Wow, I had no idea it was possible to make mayonnaise this way. I can’t wait to give this a try!

17. Great idea and pictures. Thanks! We’re having a party at Tumbleweed Contessa and I’d love it of you linked this to What’d You Do This Weekend?

Love people. Cook them tasty food.
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

18. Anonymous says:

When you flavor, do you add the lemon and salt before or after you blend?

19. Best use EVER of an immersion blender! I just gave one away in conjunction with my cookbook last week. Wish I would have known about this- would have told people about it. I need to make this, asap! Step by step pics are super helpful, too!