In case I failed to convince some of you with my FLOURLESS ALMOND BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, or, heaven forbid there should be any straggling non-believers out there after my FLOURLESS PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES this should seal the deal. A great chocolate chip cookie can be made without any butter or any flour whatsoever. They’re so quick and easy to make, I’d say they qualify as instant gratification. It’s revolutionary, really.
I found cashew butter in the peanut butter aisle the other day, which prompted this recipe. I think I can now safely say that any kind of nut butter will work with these cookies. I’m slowly working my way through all of them…it can be homemade or store bought, doesn’t seem to matter.
The batter is a dream to whip up — there’s nothing to sift, nothing to soften, nothing to cause any trouble whatsoever. Just whisk or beat the egg, sugar, cashew butter, and chocolate chips together. No need to chill. Just scoop the dough onto the baking sheet and bake.
About 12 minutes in the oven and you’ve got cookies.
What You Will Need
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F
- Whisk the egg and sugar together until well blended. Beat in the baking soda and cashew butter and then fold in the chips.
- I use a 1 1/2 inch cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough. Space them 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls of dough just slightly with your fingers or a spreading knife.
- Bake for about 12-13 minutes. The cookies will puff up and just barely begin to get golden on the edges. They will look soft and a little under done, but will firm up as they cool.
- Cool the cookies for a few minutes on the pan, then transfer to a rack.
If you like soft, chewy cookies I think you’ll love these. I’m completely smitten. The cashew flavor isn’t dominant, so to me they taste like a regular chocolate chip cookie. Because the cashew butter takes the pace of dairy butter and flour, these cookies are almost like little energy bars. They freeze well, and you can actually eat them straight from the freezer!