The Hurricane Cocktail Remix ~ run and fresh passion fruit juice brings this classic cocktail back to its roots.
The original Hurricane was a post-prohibition cocktail made famous by Pat O’Brien’s bar in New Orleans where it slowly evolved from a simple rum and passion fruit drink into a bright pink tiki nightmare. Today it’s a tacky symbol of good times in ‘N’awlins’. I stripped back the layers of ‘improvements’ and resurrected something closer to the original evocative combination of rum and passion fruit. It’s fresh and tropical, but not too sweet, and definitely not pink.
This idea started when I discovered passion fruits last weekend at the farmer’s market. I would have totally passed right by them without a second look if it hadn’t been for a woman next to me who was fondling the ugly purple pods and squealing with delight like she’d found a pot of gold. I figured I’d better investigate a bit, and the guy at the fruit stand told me he likes to cut them open, scoop out the pulp and mix it with water, seeds and all. He said it was incredibly refreshing and would give me tons of energy. That sounded ok, but I was already starting to get other ideas.
I have to say these aren’t like any fruit I’ve ever seen. The outside is all wrinkled and looks a little bit rotten, and the inside doesn’t look much better. There are lots of black seeds covered in a greenish yellow pulp. But the scent is another story. It’s exotic and almost floral, and the flavor is a little reminiscent of pineapple. It literally begs to be mixed with rum.
- 1 oz light rum
- 1 oz dark rum
- 2 oz passion fruit juice (directions below)
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes of bitters
- 5 ripe passion fruits
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- To make the passion fruit juice, cut the fruit in half and scoop out the flesh with a small spoon, seeds and all, into a blender. Add the sugar and water.
- Pulse the blender a few times and then run it briefly. Don't blend it long enough to crush the seeds.
- Strain the juice. (I used a mesh strainer) you will have about 1 1/2 cups.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to use
- For the Hurricane: Put the rum, passion fruit juice, lime juice and bitters in a shaker and shake with ice. Pour over fresh ice and garnish with a wedge of lime.
I really like this drink, partly because I love rum mixed with real fruit juice, and the passion fruit gives me a whole new flavor profile to enjoy. It’s tropical but on the tart side. If you can’t find fresh passion fruit juice, try using a passion fruit syrup and a little pineapple juice.
No sooner did I get home from the farmer’s market with my small bag of fruit than I realized that the huge vine overhanging the fence on my side yard is actually a passion fruit vine. How fun! I predict it’s going to be a big hurricane season around here.