Minimal Monday: Chocolate Sprinkle Waffle Cups are fun and easy to make, and I guarantee you’ll find endless uses for these be-sprinkled waffle bowls!
I found waffle cups in the supermarket the other day… maybe you’ve already seen them, they’re like waffle ice cream cones, only in little cup form.
I like the idea, especially for serving ice cream or berries as an easy dessert, but it seems to me they lack a little something something, you know? They’re ok on their own, but I think they’d be way cuter with a little chocolate and a few sprinkles. What wouldn’t?
This way you can serve plain old vanilla ice cream and still be a dessert hero. You can trick kids into thinking berries are a decadent treat.
You can use white chocolate, too, if you want, and customize your sprinkles to your occasion. Spoon or brush more chocolate inside the cup, if you’re a chocoholic. Use finely chopped nuts instead of sprinkles, or coconut. For Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, use white chocolate and then sprinkle with red white and blue.
- one package of 10 waffle ice cream cups
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil or crisco
- assorted sprinkles
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and put in a microwave safe bowl along with the coconut oil or Crisco. Choose a bowl that is on the narrow side, so the melted chocolate will be deep enough to dip your cups into. I used a quart sized measuring cup. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir the chocolate. If it's not completely melted, microwave again in short 15 to 30 second bursts until you can stir away all the lumps.
- Dip each cup into the melted chocolate and then let the excess drip off. I scraped the excess from the bottom of each cup against the lip of the measuring cup.
- Liberally cover the chocolate with sprinkles and set on waxed paper, bottom up, to dry.
- You may need to give the cups a second coat of sprinkles if some of them 'melt' into the chocolate. Letting the chocolate air dry for a minute or two before you add the sprinkles helps prevent this.
- Need some amazing ice cream to put in your pretty bowls? How about some No Churn Vanilla Bean Ice Cream? You don’t even need a machine for this one.
Just a neat little trick to have up your sleeve for the season.