What could be more season spanning than a pumpkin pie popsicle? These creamy popsicles taste like that cold piece of leftover pie you sneak straight from the fridge the day ofter Thanksgiving. A little unusual, I admit, but healthy and refreshing on a hot day in late August.
I got a lot of use out of my popsicle mold this season, every time I think it’s time to stow it away I get another idea. I wish I had had one when my kids were young, they would have loved it. The pudding mix in this recipe makes an extremely creamy textured popsicle, and if you swap out the pumpkin for, say, Nutella, you’d have an entirely different sort of treat. Check out my Popsicle Fever Pinterest board for tons of inspiration.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or low fat)
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding
- 1/4 tsp each: nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Whisk all the ingredients together until smooth.
- Fill popsicle molds to the top, and rap the mold firmly on a hard surface to remove any air bubbles. I found the easiest way to do this was to spoon the mixture into a large baggie, cut off the tip, and squeeze it into the molds. You can also use small paper cups as molds.
- Position the popsicle sticks (they will stand up by themselves because the mixture is thick) and freeze at least several hours until solid. You will not need the lid for these pops.
- To remove the popsicles from the mold, fill the sink with hottest tap water and submerge the mold just up to, but not over, the top lip. Hold it in the water for several seconds, and then try to wiggle the popsicles out. If they don't budge, submerge the mold again briefly.
I’m not gonna lie, these are creamy, and cold, and they do taste like a piece of pumpkin pie, but I’m not sure they’re my cup of tea. But who knows, if you love pumpkin, they might be yours.
And here’s another secret…these pops are adapted from a recipe for pup pops. That’s right, so if you make these and you don’t absolutely love them, you can treat your four legged friend. (If you do treat your dog, be sure to remove the stick, and serve in moderation ;)