Cocoa Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberries ~ these fun chocolatey pancakes topped with strawberries will help get any day off to a festive and delicious start!
These choco-pancakes aren’t as unhealthy as they sound…they’re made with part whole wheat flour, Ovaltine, yes, Ovaltine, and they’re topped with fresh fruit, so they’re kinda/sorta nutritious.
I had Ovaltine leftover from making Joy the Baker’s amazing FROSTED BROWNIES last month, but if you don’t have any, (which is just another way of saying you didn’t heed my advice to make those amazing brownies, because if you did, you’d have Ovaltine, but, whatever) just use cocoa powder, your pancakes will be even more chocolaty. If you’ve decide to throw health concerns out the window you could also add in some mini chocolate chips.
When strawberries are in season I love to use them in as many ways as I can, here are a few of my favorites ~
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Ovaltine or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter, cooled
- a splash of vanilla
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together and combine the two, mixing just until everything is incorporated. Don't over mix, lumps are good. If the batter seems too thick, add more buttermilk.
- Cook the pancakes on a hot griddle and serve with sliced strawberries and maple syrup.
Don’t forget to pin these Cocoa Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberries!