Old Fashioned Cherry Coffee Cake ~ a fresh cherry packed cake for breakfast, coffee take, or afternoon tea!
Usually I just throw my summer fruit into a crisp or a crumble. This cake is a little more structured, but still lets the fresh cherries shine.
It gave me a nice excuse to use my cherry pitter again. It’s very therapeutic.
~~~adapted from Food & Wine magazine
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup fresh pitted cherries, rough chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Spray or butter a 9 inch spring-form or cake pan.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and extracts.
- Mix the sour cream and buttermilk. Add to the butter and sugar, along with the dry ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry. Don't over-mix.
- Spread the batter in the pan, spreading out gently.
- Scatter the cherries evenly over the top of the batter, pressing in sightly. Then sprinkle the almonds and sugar over all.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.