Pretzel Honey Peanut Butter ~ peanut butter like you’ve never had it before!
Why make Pretzel Honey Peanut Butter? Because you can! And because pretzels, peanut butter and honey get along so well together. My mini food processor makes quick work of any kind of nut butter, and it seems a shame to see him hanging around on the counter with nothing to do, so I put him to work. He likes to feel useful, it makes him happy. And Pretzel Honey Peanut Butter makes me happy.
Spread this on crackers or apple slices. Dip pretzel sticks in it. Dab it on top of a piece of chocolate. Grab a spoonful anytime your energy flags.
When you process peanut butter, it only takes a couple of minutes. The mixture will first look dry and sandy, and if you scrape down the sides of the bowl and keep processing it will turn to a paste, and then finally it will almost seem to instantly ‘melt’ into a smooth peanut butter. It’s easy and fun to watch! You can see more detailed photos on my Nutella, and Roasted Pecan Butter posts.
I like to use roasted peanuts with the skins on for this because the skins add a depth of flavor to the peanut butter, but you can use any kind you want. This isn’t overly sweet despite the honey, it just emphasizes the peanut flavor, and there a nice subtle hint of ‘salty pretzel’ in the background.
Pretzel Honey Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup broken pretzel pieces any kind (to get 1/3 cup fine crumbs)
- 1 cup raw peanuts skin on, if possible
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2-4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- set oven to 350F
- Throw the pretzel pieces into the mini processor and grind away for a minute until the pretzels have been finely ground. Remove and set aside. You will want a scant 1/3 cup of fine pretzel crumbs.
- Put the peanuts on a dry baking pan and roast them for about 10 to 15 minutes, shaking the pan every once in a while to avoid burning.
- Cool the peanuts slightly, then put into the processor and process until you get a nice smooth peanut butter. Scrape down the sides often. This will take about 4 minutes.
- Add in 1/3 cup pretzels, honey, salt. Process until smooth and creamy, adding enough oil to get a loose consistency, this will depend on the kind of peanuts you are using. Taste to adjust the salt, and add more oil if it seems too stiff.
- Spoon into a jar and enjoy!
Note: Just like with other natural nut butters, store this one in the fridge.