Pumpkin Poppy Seed Scones ~ buttery flaky pumpkin pastry with the unexpected crunch of poppy seeds.
These are moist, cakey scones, filled with lots of crunchy poppy seeds and all our favorite fall spices. Just another delicious excuse to keep the pumpkin love flowing.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup, 1 stick, cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (or cream)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk or cream to thin
- Set oven to 400F
- Put the dry ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Drop the butter pieces into the processor and pulse about 10 to 15 times just to get a crumbly texture.
- Measure out the buttermilk, then add the egg, pumpkin and poppy seeds and whisk together. Add to the dry ingredients while pulsing the machine, just until the dough comes together. It will be fairly wet.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and with floured hands, pat it into a round disk, about an 8 or 9 inches across. Don't overwork the dough.
- Cut the dough in half, and then into quarters. Place the scones on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and put into the freezer for about 20 or 30 minutes.
- Bake for about 18 minutes.
- To make the glaze: stir everything together with enough milk to get a drizzling consistency. Drizzle liberally over the cooled scones.