Spiced Gingerbread Pear Crumble ~ a classic pear crisp taken up a few notches with all the wonderful warm flavors of gingerbread! This is the ultimate fall dessert.
The harvest moon ambushed us by coming early this year. We’re two days away from the official start of fall, and, be honest, are you ready? Do you have corn cobs on your door and mums on the porch? I didn’t think so. Well, try this recipe and at least your kitchen will get into the spirit…it’s based on a delicious chewy ginger cookie that we make every Christmas. They’re dark with molasses and spices and crackle on top when they cook. I took the basic cookie dough, left out the egg, added some pecan halves, and baked it on top of lots of sliced pears.
How easy is this. Pile your sliced pears in the baking dish, and toss with the lemon juice. Everything else goes into a big mixing bowl, and with your hands, combine it all until it has a crumbly texture…no more dry flour feel. (It’s basically another crumble, but I’m trying not to use that word.)
Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the pears in the baking dish.
You’ll love the hint of gingerbread in the air as this bakes.
More gingerbread and pear treats to try ~
Spiced gingerbread pears
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- 1/2 cup pecan halves or chopped pecans
- 6 ripe pears peeled and sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put the crumble topping ingredients together in a bowl and work through it with your fingers until it has a coarse crumb texture. Be sure to break up all the bits of butter and get them rubbed into the dry ingredients.
- Toss the pears with the lemon juice and put in the bottom of your pan. Top evenly with the crumble.
- Bake for 30 minutes until browned and bubbly.