I make granola all year round since my husband likes to eat it with yogurt and fruit for lunch. In the fall and winter I make it hearty and earthy with lots of nuts and seeds, wheat germ and spices. This one is a light and summery: just the crunchy oats, coconut and almonds. Cherries pair well with the almond and coconut flavors, so I added dried tart cherries to the granola after it baked, and topped a yogurt granola parfait with fresh fruit.
Toasted Coconut Almond Granola with Cherries
oven to 350
3 cups old fashioned oats
- Put the oats in a large mixing bowl.
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp almond extract
- Heat the coconut oil in a glass measuring cup briefly in the microwave just to melt, it will only take a few seconds. Stir in the honey and almond extract.
- Drizzle onto the oats, stirring and turning the oats constantly to evenly coat them.
1/2 cup shredded coconut, preferably unsweetened
1 cup sliced almonds
- Stir in the coconut and the almonds. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning.
1 cup dried tart cherries
- After the granola comes out of the oven, stir in the cherries, and allow it to cool on the pan.
- Transfer to an airtight jar.
Today I made another great inexpensive kitchen gadget discovery…the cherry pitter. I bought this a while back but this was my first time using it. It’s amazing, the pits just popped right out with one squeeze, and the most amazing thing is that the cherries are left intact. This is perfect for those cherry desserts where you want the look of whole cherries. I linked to the exact one I got, because it works so well. (I’m definitely NOT being bribed to say this!)
There are a whole bunch of cherry dishes I’ve been meaning to make, so I’m happy to make this discovery early in the season. Do this inside a bowl, though, my first few pits flew clear into the dining room!
Top some Greek yogurt with the granola and a handful of fresh cherries for breakfast.
or the facebook like box
in the upper right of this blog)
*Giveaway has ended*