Wild Blueberry Muffins with Key Lime Butter ~ wild blueberries are tastier and healthier than their grocery store cousins ~ and these muffins are the ultimate morning treat!
This morning it’s a race against the sun. I got up early all bright eyed and eager to enjoy the day when, according to all reports, the heat is officially going to break. Hmmm. The sun is already awfully intense. And after several days of record breaking heat you develop a sixth sense about these things…
But I’ve already determined to use the wild blueberries that I picked off a friend’s bush last night. Cultivated berries can’t compare to these tiny tart wild ones. No matter that the picking goes pretty slow from a wild bush; the berries are minuscule and don’t hang out in convenient clusters ~ you’ve got to identify and zero in on each and every one. Never mind that you have to swat Japanese Beetles and other buzzing competitors for your cup and a half of pure joy, all the work just makes your reward that much sweeter.
The key lime butter? Really just a ploy to distract from the fact that I’m making yet another batch of blueberry muffins.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk, buttermilk, or cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup, 1 stick, unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 or 2 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- zest of 2 or 3 key limes
- Set oven to 350F
- Make the Key Lime Butter: mash together the butter with the zest and lime juice. You can use as much or as little zest as you want, but add the juice sparingly---add only as much juice as your butter will absorb.
- Plop the butter on a sheet of waxed paper and roll it up like a little log. Twist the ends like a candy wrapper and chill till firm.
- While the butter is chilling make the muffins. Combine the dry ingredients and blueberries in a bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry, mixing only until blended.
- Scoop into 8 greased muffin tins. Bake for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm with Key Lime Butter