Spiked Cranberry Sauce with Hard Cider and Spiced Rum ~ better set aside a few of grandma’s crystal bowls for this sauce, it’s going to be popular.
It looks like ordinary cranberry sauce, and that’s just the way I usually make it. I think plain old cranberry sauce is one of the highlights of holiday meals, and I buy cranberries the minute they come into the stores so I can start making it. I don’t like it overly sweet, and I don’t like to mask the flavor of the berries, but it seems to me that the simple recipe on the back of the bag just begs for variations. I’ll admit the difference is subtle, but the warmth of spiced rum and the distinctive twang of hard cider in this variation won’t be lost on anyone.
I’m sharing this recipe with you plenty early so you’ll have time to try it out a few times before the big day. The alcohol burns off and the flavors of the rum, cider, cloves and dark brown sugar concentrate as it simmers.
Cranberries are such versatile fruits, I keep bags in the freezer all year long so I don’t miss out once the season’s passed. My HOT PEPPER CRANBERRY RELISH is one of our favorites, we use it on cheese plates throughout the year. The heat of the peppers with the sweet tang of the cranberries is to die for!
Spiked Cranberry Sauce with Hard Cider and Spiced Rum
- 1 12 oz bottle of hard cider
- 1 50 ml bottle spiced rum You don't need to buy a big bottle, use a mini!
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 12 oz package of cranberries rinsed
- Bring the cider, rum, sugar and cloves to a boil in a 2 qt saucepan. Let it boil for about 10 minutes until reduced to about a cup.
- Fish out the cloves, and then add in the cranberries. Bring back to a boil. After the cranberries begin to pop, boil gently for about 6 minutes until the sauce is deep red and thickened. Let cool in the pan, and then pour into a serving dish or storage container. The cranberry sauce will thicken further as it cools.
Make it your own ~
- You can spike cranberry sauce with all kinds of alcohol and liqueur, so experiment with your favorites.