I know pies take center stage at dessert time during the holidays, but I love little bite sized cookies like these Cappuccino Melting Moments for serving after a big meal. I’m one of those people who can’t drink coffee after noon, so these cookies give me a little taste of coffee without the buzz. If you’re too stuffed for pie, these buttery cookies will be just the thing.
Like my original Melting Moments, these delicious little cookies are made with cornstarch in the dough, which, along with the butter, gives them a melting texture, they literally dissolve when they hit your mouth — you hardly have to chew! Espresso powder in the cookie and a touch of cinnamon dusted on the frosting gives these a real cappuccino flavor.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 11/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3 Tbs unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- milk or cream for thinning
- cinnamon for dusting
- Set oven to 350F
- Cream the butter and the espresso powder. Let the butter sit for 15 minutes to allow the espresso granules to dissolve a bit in the moisture of the butter. Beat again briefly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until the dough forms. Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until firm. You can leave it overnight and bake the next day if you want to.
- Scoop with a 1 inch scoop, or drop small mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet. You want the cookies to be bite sized. Be sure your baking sheets are cool and not hot from the oven when you set out the dough.
- Bake for about 11-12 minutes until just lightly browned. Don't over bake.
- Let the cookies sit on the pan for a couple of minutes, then finish cooling them on a rack. They are delicate, so take care when removing them from the pan.
- To make the frosting, mix everything together into a spreadable frosting, adding just enough milk or cream for the right consistency.
- Frost the cooled cookies and dust with cinnamon.
- Melting Moments are delicate, let them cool completely before frosting, and try not to handle them too much.