Carrot Soup with Ginger and Lime ~ this simple soup is like a burst of sunshine, with a bright flavor and a cheering color ~ that extra dose of beta carotene doesn’t hurt either!
Carrot soup seems like just the thing to kick off a spring meal, whether it’s big affair or just a simple weeknight dinner. I like this recipe because it gets a spicy kick from a dusting of cayenne pepper, a color boost from a pinch of saffron, and a bit of citrusy zing from a squeeze of lime. Other than that, it’s all carrot. So healthy and so tasty.
I love rainbow carrots, and have a lot of recipes where I feature them (see my SHEET PAN SALMON or my RAINBOW CARROT SUMMER ROLLS) but for this soup I recommend the regular old orange variety. Rainbow carrots just aren’t as sweet and flavorful.
TIP: Young carrots, and especially those with the greens still attached, have the best flavor for soup.
Serve this soup in small portions, in very shallow bowls or even cups. It’s perfect for the start of a spring meal. If you like you can garnish it with a swirl of creme fraiche, sour cream, or yogurt.
- 3 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and rough chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of saffron threads
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 or two limes, to taste
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and saute the onion and ginger for 10 minutes, stirring often. Don't let it brown.
- Add the carrots and stock or water. Add the cayenne and saffron. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, cover, and simmer on low for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are just tender.
- Working in batches, puree the soup until smooth.
- Put back in the rinsed out pot, and reheat. Thin with more stock or water if necessary. Add the lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
- If you don’t have saffron you can use a pinch of turmeric to boost that golden color.
- This soup can also be served chilled.
- For other delicious spring soups, try this Spring Pea Soup, or this Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup.