Homemade Lip Scrub ~ a sweet homemade scrub for dry, rough, chapped, lips. A diy all natural lip exfoliant you can make right at home with common ingredients.
I make a few batches of this homemade scrub every year at the first sign of dryness.
I keep one in the shower and one by the sink. The last time I looked they were selling little pots of scrub like this for $25 at our local beauty store, but luckily this is one of those products that you can replicate exactly at home. It doesn’t rely on fancy chemicals or high tech ingredients because the job of a lip scrub is to physically exfoliate the delicate skin on your lips. Sugar does the job, and the oil moisturizes the lips at the same time. Magically the sugar crystals don’t dissolve in the oil and you get a sweet little paste.
This homemade lip scrub actually works!
You might be skeptical about homemade beauty products if, like me, you grew up trying all those gloppy avocado and oatmeal face masks, or the dreadful mayonnaise hair conditioner. This one actually works, it’s pleasant to use, and you and your bathroom won’t smell like beer or vinegar afterwards. All you need is some sugar, some oil and a few little plastic travel containers. You can find those at beauty stores. You can play with flavors and food coloring if you want to.
This is a fun project to do with your kids. I would have waited until my daughters were home for the holidays but my lips wouldn’t cooperate. I need this stuff now.
And to keep your lips moisturized once they’re all exfoliated check out my recipe for DIY COCONUT OIL LIP BALM!
Homemade Lip Scrub
- 2 small plastic containers don't use glass if you intend to leave them the shower
- food coloring
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- almond oil or any mildly flavored or flavorless oil you have
- a drop of almond extract don't use too much of any extract or you'll get a bitter flavor
- Mix up your scrub using just enough oil to make a loose paste consistency. Adjust the amount of oil or sugar if you need to. If you're using paste food coloring you will only need a pin prick amount, and you can add it to the oil first so it will disperse.
- Pack it firmly into your jars and you're ready to scrub.
- Just scoop out a little with your finger and scrub on and around your lips with little circular motions. Don't wet your lips first, since the water will dissolve the sugar before the job is done.
- Rinse off. Do this every day to beat the winter dryness!
- I used almond extract, but there are so many flavorings in the baking aisle of the supermarket these days,..try orange, lemon, mint, vanilla, maple, or rum. Buy extract, not artificial flavoring, and you can use it all season long in your baking.
- Yes, you could make this in larger amounts and use it as a body scrub, too!
Don’t forget to pin this Homemade Lip Scrub!