Hot Dulce de Leche ~ a decadently creamy and delicious hot caramel milk that gives cocoa a run for its money ~ once you try it there’s no turning back!
This toasty caramel milk will warm you to your core ~ but I’m almost embarrassed to tell you how easy it is to make this luscious hot dulce de leche. Hold on to your hats, there are only 2 ingredients, and one of them is in a can.
Put on your coziest flannel pj pants, grab a fluffy throw, turn on the TV (I suggest Poldark) and pour yourself a cup. This is going to be good.
In keeping with the decadent theme I suggest a dollop of MASON JAR WHIPPED CREAM to go on top.
What is dulce de leche?
Dulce de leche is a Latin American treat that’s a lot like caramel. It loosely translates to milk jam or milk candy, and I’d say that’s pretty accurate. Dulce de leche is created when sweetened milk is slowly heated and the sugars basically caramelize. The resulting thick spread can be slathered on toast, biscuits, croissants, cornbread, you name it. And you can bake with it, too. Aaaaaaaand you can just go at it with a spoon, I don’t judge.
Where can I find dulce de leche? ~
You can buy dulce de leche in large supermarkets in most parts of the country, look for it with the other canned milk products.
If you can’t find it locally, you can purchase it online, here. Be sure to buy extra so you’ll have it around, it keeps for a long time.
How to make homemade dulce de leche ~
You can actually make it yourself! The easiest and best method is to do it in your Instant Pot, I’ve got all the details in this post: Instant Pot Dulce de Leche.
You can turn a can of sweetened condensed milk into dulce de leche using a number of other methods. The Nestlé® company has directions here. I’ve tried all the methods and I prefer the Instant Pot method.
Can you make dulce de leche from scratch, without the can?
Yes! Food 52 has instructions, here.
Serve this hot dulce de leche with a plate of PECAN PRALINE COOKIES for the ultimate caramel experience!
Pssst! I’m going to be posting a recipe for homemade dulce de leche liquor later this month, just a heads up. You can get the gist by checking out my HOMEMADE NUTELLA LIQUEUR if you can’t wait…
- 2 cups milk (any type)
- a 13-ounce can dulce de leche (about a cup)
- whipped cream
- Heat the milk in a small sauce pan (you can also do this in the microwave) until it comes to a simmer.
- Stir or whisk the dulce de leche into the milk until it is silky smooth. Reheat until piping hot, and it's ready to drink.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Make it your own ~
- Use any type of milk you like, whole, non-fat, or low fat all work fine. You can also use nut milks, or coconut milk.
- To make a thicker caramel topping for desserts, just add enough milk to the dulce de leche to make a sauce consistency. Pour over ice cream, brownies, etc., or use it as a decadent dip for fruit or cookies. It’s an indulgent way to end a meal.
Don’t forget to pin this Hot Dulce de Leche