The Dirty Mojito Slushie ~ A fun frozen cocktail made with fresh lime juice, a touch of sugar, fresh mint, and earthy dark rum.
Let me introduce you to the Dirty Mojito Slushie, your new best friend.
I used a mixture of key limes and regular limes to make this treat. You’ll need about a cup of the good fresh stuff. You’ll also need some sugar, mint, and dark rum. I used regular sugar, but realized I could have make this even dirtier by using light brown sugar. I’ll do that next time.
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup regular sugar, or light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- a small handful of fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 tsp powdered gelatin (optional)
- Put the mint leaves at the bottom of a bowl. Add the water and crush the mint well to release the flavor. Add the sugar and stir or whisk until it is dissolved. Make sure it gets completely dissolved. Strain to remove the mint.
- Add the lime juice and rum and stir well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the gelatin in 1 tablespoon of water and let sit for a few minutes.
- Whisk the gelatin into the lime juice and rum until it is completely incorporated.
- Pour into the bowl of your ice cream maker and process as if you were making ice cream or sorbet. It will take about 20 minutes for the mix to get to a soft slushy stage.
- Scoop into chilled glasses and garnish with fresh mint and limes.
The gelatin is optional, I added it to try and get a slightly firmer consistency to the slushie because the presence of rum in the mixture means that it won't freeze as easily as regular sorbet or ice cream. Feel free to use it or not.
Thanks for pinning!