I’ve put together a handy list of volume to metric conversions for the most common baking ingredients that can be used for any of my recipes!
metric conversions for precise baking
I get asked all the time for metric conversions for my recipes, and although I try to add that information into new recipes that I post, many of my older recipes only include volume measurements. There are lots of handy calculators online to convert volume to weight, but they can contradict each other and be confusing.
So, for my own sake, and for yours, I’ve put together this handy list of the most common and useful conversions you’ll encounter cooking from this blog. I’ve done the research, and double-checked when needed against my own kitchen scale, so you can be confident they will work for the recipes on my blog.
A note on using measuring cups
I use the “fluff, scoop, level” method for measuring out cups of flour, which is key for getting a more consistent amount of flour every time you bake.
- To use this method, fluff up the flour in your canister or bag quickly using your measuring cup.
- Then, gently scoop up the flour into your cup.
- Run the back of a knife over the top of the cup to perfectly level it off.
A good kitchen scale is an essential tool in the kitchen, whether you usually use metric units or not. Though I generally use volume measurements in my cooking, some ingredients are particularly unreliable when measured that way (chopped chocolate or nuts, for example), and using weight is sometimes more convenient. My scale is from Cuisinart and includes a handy bowl so I can measure my ingredients right into the bowl to weigh.
METRIC CONVERSIONS FOR COMMON BAKING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup all purpose white flour ~ 125g
- 1 cup oat flour ~ 96g
- 1 cup almond flour ~ 100g
- 1 cup whole wheat flour ~ 145g
- 1 cup bread flour ~ 140g
Sugars and other Sweeteners
- 1 cup granulated white sugar ~ 210g
- 1 cup powdered or confectioner’s sugar ~ 105g
- 1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed) ~ 180g
- 1/4 cup maple syrup ~ 78g
- 1/4 cup molasses ~ 82g
Other Dry Ingredients
- 1 cup cocoa powder ~ 102g
- 1 cup cornmeal ~ 145g
- 1/4 cup cornstarch ~ 30g
- 1 cup rolled oats ~ 90g
Liquid and Wet Ingredients
- 1 cup vegetable oil (olive oil, canola oil, etc.) ~ 200g
- 1 cup milk or nut milk ~ 230g
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken ~ 250g
- 1 cup heavy cream ~ 227g
- 1 cup yogurt ~ 227g
- 1 cup sour cream ~ 227g
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup) ~ 113g