Homemade mayonnaise in 30 seconds

Homemade mayonnaise can be made with just 2 ingredients, in 30 seconds ~ and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history!

a spoonful of homemade mayonnaise

My 30 second mayonnaise recipe is a game changer

Just think about it—the freshest, creamiest, purest mayonnaise possible, in 30 seconds. That’s way less time than it takes to grab a jar at the supermarket and wait on the checkout line.

making mayonnaise in a mason jar

making mayonnaise the old fashioned way

I’ve made mayo from scratch before, the old fashioned way, standing by the food processor for many minutes sloooooowly drizzling the oil according to the classic method for making mayo. Actually French chefs insist on a whisk, which is even more laborious. My arm literally ached the next morning. If you’ve made your own mayonnaise the old fashioned way and loved it, you owe it to yourself to try this.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

you’ll need an immersion blender for 30 second mayonnaise

You should have one anyway, they aren’t expensive and there’s a lot you can do with them, from pureeing soups right in the pot to making smoothies. I have to say this was the most fun I’ve had in the kitchen in a long time.

homemade mayonnaise in a jar with spoon

I’ve settled on the easiest, most foolproof way to make mayonnaise

There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating how to make this, but they are all a little different, and I went through several attempts at this before figuring it out. From my experience, it’s the egg being at room temperature that makes the difference. I made it several times, with safflower oil, and then pure olive oil. You can also make it with virgin olive oil, but it will be richer, more yellow, and have a stronger taste. That can be a plus in some recipes. You can flavor your mayonnaise with a little lemon juice and mustard, and salt, but it isn’t necessary.

making homemade mayonnaise

use pasteurized eggs for safe homemade mayonnaise

If you use pasteurized there is no risk of contamination in the finished mayo. You’ll find them in most grocery stores, right in the same section with regular eggs. Pasteurized eggs have been gently heated to a temperature that kills any harmful bacteria, without actually ‘cooking’ the eggs. Use them just as you would regular eggs.

TIP:  Did you know you can pasteurize your own eggs at home? you can easily pasteurize your own eggs at home, directions here.

pasteurized eggs for mayonnaise

more amazing 30 second sauces

homemade mayonnaise in a jar

I use my immersion blender a lot in my kitchen. I have always used it to blend soups etc. right in the pot, but I have to say that ever since I discovered how easy it is to make mayo and dressings like this, it’s become one of my most beloved tools. It’s not expensive, it’s very easy to clean because the top screws right off for rinsing, and it has a solid, heavy feel to it.

Homemade Mayonnaise in 30 seconds

30-Second Mayonnaise is the perfect storm of recipes. Just 2 ingredients, 30 seconds, and you have one of the great sauces in culinary history.
Course condiment
Prep Time 1 minute
Total Time 1 minute
Yield 1 cup
Calories 128kcal

• 1 whole egg (use pasteurized for safety at room temperature)
  • 1 cup mild oil like safflower, canola, or pure olive oil
  • 1 mason jar or other jar that is just wide enough to fit your immersion blender (I used a Kerr Wide Mouth Pint Jar)

• Make sure your egg and oil are at room temperature, this is important. Put your egg and oil in the bottom of a glass jar that fits your immersion blender. Ideally, it should be a close fit.
  • Put the immersion blender down into the cup and rest it at the bottom. Turn it on and blend, keeping it at the bottom until you start to see the mayo thicken. Then gently raise the blender head to blend the rest of the mayo. Stop the machine when you see that the entire jar has thickened. Don’t over-blend or the mayo will ‘break’. Note: If you see that the mixture turns creamy before you have raised the blender, you can stop.
  • Give it a stir and then cap the jar and store in the fridge. Eat it up within the week.

Cook’s notes

• The size of your jar matters, if it is too big, you won’t get an emulsion.  Use a jar that just fits the ingredients and your immersion blender.
  • If you have trouble getting the mayo to thicken, add another egg.
  • If you want to flavor your mayo, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of mustard. That’s the classic seasoning, but of course you can do anything you want, it’s your mayonnaise 😉

Nutrition

Serving: 1Tbsp | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 4mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg
free ebook

Philippine
    March 14, 2016 at 11:59 am

Thank You si Mush i can made my cols law salad (grâce à toi) sorry îm french…
    You’r Mayo because verry famous in Paris now! I just add a Little lemmon Juce…
    ? philippine

August 26, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Thank you Philippine!!

Misty
    March 13, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I have my grandmother’s cast iron meat grinder. Every year after Thanksgiving and Christmas, I grind up the rest of the turkey and mix it with homemade mayonnaise. My niece and her daughter and I then have the best turkey sandwiches EVER!

March 13, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Nice! I have my mom’s old meat grinder, but I’ve never used it — you’ve inspired me 🙂

Karin
    February 23, 2016 at 7:39 am

This recipe worked out great. I used sunflower oil. Lovely thick mayonaise. Thank you.

February 23, 2016 at 8:02 am

I’m so glad you gave it a try and it worked for you Karin — isn’t it such fun??

Kimberly
    January 29, 2016 at 10:47 pm

I was so excited to try this recipe that I went out and purchased a KitchenAid 2 speed hand blender. It was on sale for $39. We had company over for dinner and I was telling them about your recipe and thought I would just go ahead and whip it up. I pulled an egg out of the refrigerator and put it in a cup of warm water for about 3 minutes. The recipe works like magic and created a creamy cup of mayonnaise. We all tried it and decided it was bland. I looked at the ingredients on my jar of best foods mayonnaise in the refrigerator and added several dashes of salt, a pinch of sugar, several drops of fresh lemon juice, and about an eighth teaspoon of white vinegar. The end result was really delicious. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

Tiffany
    September 24, 2015 at 5:28 pm

I know you said use within the week. If you don’t use it all in a week should you dump and start new or what?

September 24, 2015 at 5:55 pm

If it smells fine it can be used for more than a week, Tiffany.

Evey
    May 19, 2015 at 8:30 am

Mine looked perfect until I tired to raise the hand blender slowly. The blender was suctioned to the bottom of the jar and as I tried to pull it up it came up quick and in a split second it was ruined 🙁

May 19, 2015 at 8:33 am

Hmm, It sounds like your blender did the job without needing to be raised up, I will amend the instruction to mention that, thanks, and I hope you give it another try.

Gaz
      March 16, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Realise this is old but if that happens, try to tilt the bender to break the suction and raise the blender.
      my hand blender (thunder stick) has broken but I think I can do this in a magic bullet blender.

M
    April 28, 2015 at 10:01 am

Mind blown!! Seriously! I also have used the food processor, pour the oil VERY slowly in method in the past and this had changed my world! Thank you!!!

April 28, 2015 at 11:43 am

Thanks M — I agree that this is such a huge improvement over the old ‘drizzle so slowly your arm aches’ method 😉

Stacy
      January 23, 2016 at 7:38 am

M,
      Do you pour the oil as soon as you start the processor or you can put them in it together and then start it? I want to use my processor too.

January 23, 2016 at 9:15 am

Stacy when you use a processor you need to drizzle the oil in VERY slowly while the processor is going, and after you have added the other ingredients.

lulu's mama
    March 3, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I cannot believe how simple and delicious this is. I used lime (ran out of lemon) and brown mustard. So good. Trying lemon and dill next time. Thanks for the tips, the room temp egg and immersion blender make a huge difference, and you’re right, I already had everything I needed .

March 3, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Lime sounds right up my alley — I’m so glad you had success, it really is miraculous!

amy davis
    February 7, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Turned out perfect! Thanks for sharing this marvelous recipe, I’ll be making mayo more often now. 🙂

February 7, 2015 at 5:13 pm

I’m so happy to hear it Amy — you have to try a flavored version next, like dill or lemon. Or chipotle. Or…the possibilities are endless 🙂

R. Gunn
    January 19, 2015 at 12:51 am

You mentioned you would give directions for pasterizing eggs but I don’t see directions. Would love to know. thanks.
    R.Gunn

January 19, 2015 at 7:42 am

That is a link in the post, it will take you to an article explaining the process, which is basically this—
      To pasteurize large eggs, place them in a saucepan filled with water and fitted with a digital thermometer. Turn on the heat and bring the water up to 140F.
      Keep the water temperature at 140F for 3 minutes (and no more than 142F), reducing the heat on the burner if necessary. Remove eggs from hot water and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
      Store in the refrigerator until needed or use right away.
      Jumbo sized eggs need to 5 minutes in 140F water.

1 2 3 4 5