These Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies are the old fashioned style oatmeal cookies: perfectly crisp on the outside, and chewy inside. The sweet/tart cranberries are a nice bonus!
Get ready to meet your new favorite cookie. Raisins have had their day and now it’s time for something better. Dried cranberries give such a zippy flavor and texture to these classic old fashioned oatmeal cookies, they’re going to be our new norm going forward.
Sometimes classic cookies are just what the doctor ordered. No bells and whistles, just good old fashioned brown sugar and oats makes these the perfect snack (after school or otherwise.) Add milk and it doesn’t get any more wholesome.
I’ve sort of fallen out of love with cookies in the past few years, especially after my kids were no longer little, I hardly ever made them. But these oatmeal cranberry cookies have reminded me of the joys of a great cookie. The chewy texture is one you really can’t get in a package from the cookie aisle, so if this is your favorite type of cookie, these are definitely worth your time.
These cookies freeze and pack beautifully, so consider sending them off in a care package to someone in need of a little home baking. The cranberries give them a festive vibe, too, so save a spot for them in your holiday assortment.
Cookie Chemistry ~ the secrets to the perfect chewy cookie ~
- Brown sugar, it contains molasses which helps it to retain more moisture during cooking.
- Shortening ~ shortening melts slower than butter and helps cookies retain a plump shape.
- Don’t over-bake, the cookies may look paler and slightly underdone in the center, but will firm up as they cool.
More wholesome cookies to try ~
Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies ~ these old fashioned style oatmeal cookies are crisp on the outside, chewy inside, and packed with tart cranberries.
- 1 cup shortening (I use butter flavored crisco)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats (regular are fine, too.)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups cup dried cranberries
- Set oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at at time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in the cranberries.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto un-greased baking sheets. Flatten lightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. After cooling a couple of minutes, move to wire rack to cool. Note: these cookies may look slightly soft when done, they will firm up as they cool.
Make these oatmeal cranberry cookies your own ~
- Make them with nuts ~ these cookies beg for a cup of chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Make them with dried cherries ~ these would work equally well.