These soft sandwich cookies are a peanut butter lover’s dream! A creamy peanut butter filling is sandwiched between plush sugar coated peanut butter cookies ~ how could they be anything but fabulous?
better-than-Nutter Butter peanut butter sandwich cookies!
That’s what I should have called them…if you’ve only ever had the crunchy grocery store peanut butter sandwich cookies, prepare to be converted. These soft and chewy cookies are downright pillowy, and you can pile on the creamy filling as high as you like.
They’re so satisfying I could stop at one, but so good I had to go in for more. Make sure to have that cold milk handy.
ingredient list for peanut butter sandwich cookies
The simple ingredient list means you can make these on a whim.
- granulated sugar for making the cookie dough and rolling the cookies in before baking to give them that pretty and tasty sugary coating
- brown sugar adds flavor and moistness to the cookies
- peanut butter ~ I like Jif creamy, it has good flavor and texture for baking.
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vanilla extract gives the filling extra flavor
- powdered sugar
- milk or cream for thinning the filling (half and half or a non-dairy milk works too!)
tips for uniform, soft, chewy (aka perfect) sandwich cookies
I like to use a small scoop to make sure all my cookies are a uniform size, which is especially important for sandwich cookies. You can also use a tablespoon.
My favorite baking sheets are aluminum, non-insulated baking sheets.
I definitely prefer a creamy style peanut butter like Jif. “Natural” brands can sometimes be problematic because of their oilier texture and tendency to separate.
You might use plain peanut butter, Nutella, or any chocolate frosting you like. I think a thick jam would be wonderful ~ peanut butter and jelly never tasted so good!
Yes, they’ll freeze well. Freeze them solid on a baking tray first, then pop them into a heavy duty zip lock freezer bag and push out the excess air before zipping closed. Use with in 3 months for best quality.
who doesn’t love peanut butter?
Peanut butter so often has to share the stage with chocolate, it’s easy to forget sometimes how delicious it can be on it’s own! These cookies follow in the footsteps of my delicious peanut butter pudding, and old fashioned peanut butter cake, focusing all your tastebuds on creamy, nutty, rich peanut buttery flavor.
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- Heavenly Peanut Butter Pudding
- Peanut Butter Pie
- Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Cake
Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, or with electric beaters, cream together the sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, softened butter, and egg until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, and fold together until there are no streaks of flour left.
- Scoop the dough into 1 tablespoon-sized balls, and roll in sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between all the cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will still look fairly pale and be puffy. Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to fully cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the filling by adding all of the filling ingredients to a bowl and mixing together with the back of a fork (you can also use a stand mixer for this if you prefer) until creamy and smooth.
- To assemble the cookies, place a generous amount of the filling onto the back of one peanut butter cookie (about 1 tablespoon), and then sandwich with a second cookie, pressing lighting together.