Soft Batch Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are the ultimate back to school treat, whether you pack them in a lunch, use them as a homework bribe, or just indulge in some ‘me time’ after the bus has pulled away.
Oatmeal takes a good chocolate chip cookie and makes it a great chocolate chip cookie, it adds one more level of flavor and texture that makes them that much more satisfying. These have a slightly crisp outside and a soft chewy inside, so they represent the best of both cookie worlds.
I use my cookie scoop to make perfectly even rounds of dough, and of course I always make sure to strategically pop in a few extra chips right on the surface for that ‘bursting with chips’ look everybody loves.
TIP: Cookie dough freezes beautifully — scoop out your dough and place in a single layer on a tray or baking sheet. Put the tray in the freezer and freeze until solid. Then put the frozen balls of dough into a zip lock freezer bag. When you’re ready to bake, take out as many as you need and bake right from frozen. The cooking time will be slightly longer.
TIP: One of the secrets to the perfect soft batch cookie is to under-bake them just slightly. Take these cookies out of the oven while they still look somewhat under done, don’t wait for them to turn golden. They’ll seem quite soft but will firm up as they cool.
- Be sure your oven is at the correct temperature. An inexpensive oven thermometer is a good investment because a lot of great recipes are ruined by the wrong oven temp.
- Measure your flour with the fluff/scoop/level method — fluff the flour first, and then scoop it and level off with the back of a knife.
- Use a cookie scoop for uniform sized cookies. I have a collection of them in different sizes for everything from cupcakes and muffins to tiny chocolate truffles. I used my 1 7/8 inch scoop for these large cookies.
Reader Rave ~
“OMG !! Finally after 3 diff recipes NUMBER 4 IS THE WINNER…winner winner chicken dinner, totally delish..thank u thank u…soft n chewy PERFECTTTT” ~ Lea
This recipe is an adaptation of my Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soft Batch Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Set the oven to 350F
- Slice the butter into chunks and microwave for about 3-40 seconds until it's mostly melted.
- Beat in the two sugars until light and fluffy, and then blend in the egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the dry ingredients,
- When the dry ingredients are almost incorporated, go ahead and add the chocolate chips, and continue to mix just until everything is nicely incorporated.
- I use a 1 7/8 cookie scoop to scoop out the dough, and then flatten slightly just slightly with my fingers. I like to add a couple of extra chocolate chips to the surface of the dough before I bake them.
- Place on an un-greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. The cookies will look puffy and pale, but that's what you want for a soft textured cookie.
- Let cool on the pan briefly and then move to a rack.
Thanks for pinning these Soft Batch Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies!