Strawberry Crumble Pie is the ultimate summer dessert, i.e. lots juicy fresh strawberries piled into a crust and topped with a simple crumble. This is one berrylicious strawberry dessert you won’t want to miss.
Strawberry pie is a must make this summer!
Certain pies get all the glory, like blueberry, apple, and cherry. As a cook I like to go with the underdogs…have you seen my Apricot Pie? How about my Cranberry Pie? You won’t see them coming and going, and yet they’re amazing. Ditto this strawberry pie. And I’m not talking about the kind of deal where they just pile ginormous raw strawberries into a crust and call it pie. This is real honest to goodness hot jammy berry pie, with a buttery crumble topping and a big scoop of vanilla melting all over the top. Amen.
TIP: This easy pie starts with a frozen pie crust. (I like Marie Callendar’s) Carefully lift it out of its tin and place it into one of your own pretty pie plates. Once it bakes up, no one will be the wiser.
In season strawberries are a must for this simple dessert
Ok, so now you need your berries. Don’t bother to make this pie until you can get your hands on some good ripe strawberries, rock hard berries with white centers won’t do. I don’t hull them, I just slice them horizontally, discarding the green tops as I go.
This pie is so simple because all you need to do after slicing the berries is make a quick butter crumble topping. You can use your fingers or two forks to cut cold butter into a flour and sugar mixture. It’s like playing in a sandbox.
TIP: Like all fruit pies, the filling will shrink down considerably as it bakes, so pile the berries up high to begin with.
TIP: Strawberries, like many berries, are super juicy, so if you want to insure that your pie filling isn’t too loose, I recommend a product called Instant Clearjel. It’s basically a super duper starch thickener, and it works wonders. You can find it on Amazon.
TIP: Food stylists trick ~ just before serving, lightly sprinkle with a little extra brown sugar to ‘refresh’ the crumble topping and make it look even more appealing.
Reader Rave ~
“This is absolutely the best strawberry recipe we’ve Ever come across!! Thank you so very much for this wonderful recipe!! ” ~Linda
Strawberry Crumble Pie
- 1 single frozen pie crust do not thaw
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp Instant Clearjel (or you can use 4 Tbsp cornstarch or 5 Tbsp tapioca flour) You can buy Instant Clearjel here.
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp cold butter cut in small pieces
- Set oven to 400F
- Toss the strawberries with the sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Make the crumble topping by cutting the butter into the flour and sugars. Use your fingertips or two forks to blend it all together until it becomes coarse crumbles.
- If you like, carefully remove the frozen pie crust from its tin and put it into your own pie dish. Set the dish on a baking sheet to catch any dripping juices.
- Transfer the berries to the pie crust, but leave any extra juices behind. Mound them in the center of the pie and top with the crumble mixture.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375F for another 40 minutes, or until the top is browned and the juices are bubbling.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
- When using frozen pie crusts, don’t thaw, just fill and bake straight from the freezer.
- If your oven runs hot and your crust starts to brown too soon, cover it loosely with foil.
- You can mix the strawberries with raspberries or thinly sliced rhubarb for a different flavor.
Thanks for pinning this strawberry crumble pie!