Turkish Coffee Popsicles ~ the first time I had Turkish coffee I was hooked for life. It’s dark, intense, and lightly spiced with cardamom…it’s a sort of pleasantly harsh experience that makes you feel grown up and worldly, kind of like your first smoke or your first shot of whiskey. If you love Turkish coffee, you’re going to flip for these popsicles!
You can see the influence of the coffee/cardamom flavor combination all over my blog, from my AFFOFGATO that combines espresso with cardamom ice cream to my CARDAMOM AND COFFEE DIRTY BLONDIES, and you can see it again in my ROASTED CARDAMOM AND COFFEE POUND CAKE pound cake, and these CARDAMOM AND COFFEE TRUFFLES. When I find a winning flavor combination, I don’t fool around, and the earthy blend of strong coffee and cardamom is wonderful, and can swing from sweet to savory.
Sooooooo, it topped 100F the other day in Los Angeles. Yesterday was a slightly more manageable 95. I’m just sick about it, I mean… what the??? So I fought back with some ice cold coffee on a stick. I think it’s a fair fight, and I’ve declared myself the winner.
But be clear, these popsicles are icy, not creamy. I don’t want you to have false expectations. No biting these pops, you’ll want to nurse them along and allow the strong chilly coffee to slip down your throat and air condition your whole being. They’ll wake you up, too, if the heat is knocking you out.
I know these pops won’t appeal to all of you, you have to be a lover of deep rich black coffee to even be tempted. But if you’re with me that far, I think you will love these. Maybe keep a secret stash in the freezer just for you.
What are the temperatures like where you live? I sure don’t want to rush you all into summer before you’re ready, but what’s a girl to do?
- 5 cups freshly brewed very strong coffee
- 1 Tbsp green cardamom pods
- sugar to sweeten (optional)
- Take a rolling pin and lightly crush the cardamom pods. You want the pods to crack open, revealing the little black seeds inside. Be sure not to lose any of these teeny tiny precious seeds, they hold all the flavor!
- Put the cracked pods, and seeds, into the hot, just brewed coffee. Stir to combine, and then let sit until the coffee is completely cooled and is at room temperature. Then cover and refrigerate until chilled, or overnight.
- Strain the cardamom out of the coffee. If you want to sweeten your coffee, stir in sugar until it is dissolved.
- Pill each of 10 popsicle molds with the coffee.
- Top the mold with a sheet of aluminum foil and press it on firmly. Insert your popsicle sticks through the foil, so they will stay upright as the popsicles freeze. (I find this method works better than using the plastic tops that are included with the popsicle molds.)
- Freeze the pops until solid.
- To unmold, fill your sink with hot tap water, and immerse the mold up to, but not over, the top lip. Hold for 15 seconds. Remove the mold from the water and slip out the popsicles.
- Feel free to add a little milk, cream, or sweetened condensed milk to lighten these up.
Don’t forget to pin it!