These healthy 5 grain Zucchini Walnut Pancakes have all the flavors of your favorite zucchini bread, with an extra boost of nutrition ~ what a way to start the day!
Nobody lingers in bed when these ‘healthier’ pancakes are on the griddle ~ you’d be amazed at the difference the multi-grain baking mix makes in this recipe.
I know the ingredient list looks overwhelming. That’s because of all the whole grains. You can substitute all purpose flour if you want to, but you’d be missing out on so much of the heartiness, nutrition and flavor of these pancakes. Bob’s Red Milland Arrowhead Millsmake great flours, and lots of grocery stores are starting to carry some of them. You can always find them online.
Zucchini Walnut Pancakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup barley flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp each: cinnamon allspice, nutmeg, ginger
- 1/2 cup low fat yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini about 1 medium zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the yogurt, buttermilk, egg and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add to the dry and mix just until combined.
- Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Cook the pancakes on a hot, lightly greased skillet. The batter will be thick, so nudge it out into a circle after you ladle it out. Flip when the edges are beginning to look a little dry.