Now that I’ve got most of my cookie gift boxes in the mail, it’s time to focus on what’s staying here with us.

Shortbread of all kinds is a recurring theme in our house.  It’s one of those holiday staples that we all look forward to.  I make different varieties every year depending on my mood.  These extra dark cookies are amazing, if I do say so myself.  They melt in your mouth with an explosion of deep rich chocolate that’ll make your eyelids flutter.  I  love the unique texture of shortbread, it’s super soft inside with a delicate crunch on the outside.

I used extra dark cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips, so this is about the richest chocolate you can bite into short of a truffle.

This kind of shortbread cookie, with its short list of ingredients and easy prep is the ultimate holiday cookie.  There’s no stress involved, they come together in minutes, and the whole thing can be done ahead of time and the dough kept in the refrigerator or freezer.

Double Dark Chocolate Shortbread

(makes about 12-14 cookies, double the recipe if you want to)
oven to 325
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

• Cream the butter, cocoa powder and sugar together until completely combined and smooth.  Add in the vanilla.
    • Mix in the flour, and finish with a wooden spoon.  Don’t over mix.
    • Stir in the chocolate chips and turn the dough out onto a board and form into an smooth 8″ log.  The dough will be sticky.
    • Wrap it in waxed or parchment paper and twist both ends to secure, shaping the log as you roll.  Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.  You can also freeze the dough for later use.
    • Slice the log into 1/3″ slices with a sharp knife.
    • Put on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the center of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.  They will feel slightly soft, don’t over bake them.
    • Cool for a few minutes on the pan and then transfer to a rack.
    • If you’re going to give them away make sure they are completely cool before you package them.

I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder for these cookies—it’s a blend of Dutched cocoa processed to give a deeper, richer chocolate color and flavor.  I liked it quite a bit.  You can see the color above is unusually deep, and the flavor is as well.  It makes my dark chocolate chips look pale in comparison!  I highly recommend this cookie to all of you who love chocolate.

blog_share_subscribe
Share →

69 Responses to Double Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

1. Shelby says:

Would these turn out just as good if I don’t add the cocoa. Or if I skip the cocoa, add almond instead of vanilla, and some crushed pecans….

2. I found this recipe on Pinterest over a year ago and made them for our annual Robbie Burns Scotch Tasting party. They were a hit and will be made again this week for the annual party this week-end. I do add a bit of espresso powder and use the mini semi-sweet chocolate chips as they are easier to cut through for me. Thank you.

3. best recipes says:

This looks almost decadent – yum yum. I love shortbread. Have a look at my coffee shortbread at magnoliaverandah.blogspot.com that I have just taken to the office.

4. Two of my favorite things: chocolate and shortbread. Thanks for the recipe!

5. […] all chocoholics: this cookie is going to be your new fave! Double Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are melt-in-your-mouth goodies with a delicate outer crunch. With a short list of ingredients, and […]

6. [...] saw this amazing recipe for dark chocolate shortbread on The View from Great Island and I had a Ginny-inspiration. Let’s call it a Ginspiration: Andes mint chocolate shortbread [...]

7. I love this! I made them with unsweetened because that’s what was on hand, but I am working on Christmas recipes, so chopped up Andes mints and used those…oh. My. Gosh. Love it!

8. Wow, these look INCREDIBLE!! Just pinned them, can’t wait to try!!

9. munki64 says:

oh i see the temp now! nm lol silly me…

10. munki64 says:

i added a touch of espresso powder and a pinch of kosher salt… the dough is totally addicting! i’m about to bake them right now.. although it doesn’t say at what temp to do this i guess i’ll go with 325 or 350.. thanks for the recipe! i can’t wait to try the PB choc one….

11. I got this recipe via Pinterest some time back and have modified them with to be made with coconut oil (since I’m one of those pesky vegans who has to mess with every recipe)… They are SO SO SO GOOD!!

12. Pauline Yee says:

I love this recipe, but my cookies always end up being too soft after I take them out of the oven. Am I cutting them too thick?

13. Laura says:

Holy dark chocolate wow. Pinning now.

14. Anonymous says:

Upon seeing these on Pinterest and thinking they looked delicious, I added them to my holiday cookie trio. Unfortunately, they were disappointing. They look pretty and similar to the pic, but the texture of the finished product is almost powdery it is so dry. Now I need to make another type because I don’t want to give these out. Bummer.

15. Anonymous says:

wondering what these would be like with glace cherries, a little more in the christmas colour theme

16. Crackers says:

Done, and delicious. I added half a tablespoon of espresso powder just because. Heavenly, not overly sweet, and gorgeous. Thanks.

17. I have only ever had regular shortbread cookies and never attempted to make them myself. I am so excited about how good these turned out that I’m heading to the store now to get more butter. Thanks for the recipe!

18. Anonymous says:

Just made these, and they are amazing, thanks for the recipe!

19. Anonymous says:

Hi I just made these and I only had the Unsweetened Cocoa…that must really make a difference because they weren’t as yummy as they looked.

20. julie says:

Made these today and they are great! I like the peanut butter chocolate chip ones even more. Thanks for the recipes.

21. Cyn R says:

A pal brought these to our art co-op yesterday. These are some of the best cookies I have ever had, and my standards as a (very experienced) amateur baker are quite high! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. They’re fabulous!

22. shinelife says:

I saw this cookie on pinterest too and made it for the Christmas Eve family dinner. Amazing! Everyone loved it! You aren’t kidding, they are very truffle-like!

23. Anonymous says:

Just made these after seeing this on pinterest- I used chopped pecans in place of chocolate chips though since that’s what I had on hand and I’m not a fan of chocolate chips anyways. Came out delicious! I also just made little thumb print rounds since I couldn’t wait for the refrigeration step. I will definitely be making these again and again!

24. Whitney M says:

I just made these tonight, and they’re sooo good! I love dark chocolate, and these just melt in your mouth! Thanks for this recipe :)

25. rebecca says:

I made these last night and my husband loved them! I just made another batch for Christmas. I melted the butter this time rather than using softened butter, and it was a lot easier to shape into a log and not as sticky!

26. Julie says:

Oh my. so much baking still to do, but I may have to make room for these!

27. jkhaynes18 says:

It says 1/2 cup of chocolate chips… clearly in the directions…

28. Sherry says:

I had butter out ready to make my go to sugar cookies but got sidetracked and made these instead. They are chilling in the fridge now. Can’t wait to taste them :-) Thanks for recipe.

29. To the earlier anonymous comment—no, unfortunately you can’t cook these in a microwave, but you could use a toaster oven probably. Sorry!

30. Anon—Shortbread cooks really quickly, and if your oven is pretty dependable they should be done in 12 minutes, 15 if you cut them on the thick side. The chocolate ones are so hard because there is no color cue.
    The good thing is that if you cook them a little less they will be softer, and if you cook them a little long, they will be crisper. I always err on the shorter cooking time. When you touch them lightly they’ll still be soft and they firm up as they cool. You can do one pan first to test the oven and time if you’re not rushed, Good luck!

31. Anonymous says:

Making these right now. They smell delish. I’m finding it hard to tell whether they are done or not. Any tips?

32. Working london mummy says:

oooh how scrummy! a great recipe x

33. Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen says:

Hauntingly BEAUTIFUL~ This is by far the darkest and deepest shortbread i’ve ever seen!

34. Hungry Dog says:

I wish I’d seen these earlier..am going to a cookie swap today and fell back on old standbys (still good but these look lovely and new to me!) OH well, I guess I’ll just have to find another excuse to make them!

35. Anonymous says:

hey. a little question. i dont have an oven. can i put it in the microwave after removing it from the fridge?

36. grace says:

you’re not kidding about the dark part, are ya now?! these look amazing, sue!

37. these and those flourless pb cookies are my crack. fabulous darling!

38. I love shortbread…especially the melting in your mouth aspect of it! I am very interested to try a chocolate version! Yum! I’m glad I found your blog.

39. Anonymous says:

I just used your recipe! These cookies are delicous!

40. heather says:

Double batch of dough chilling in the fridge right now. I went for 1/2 cup of chocolate chips per batch. My first baking experience with my 5 week old daughter in a sling. Feeling very accomplished! Though they still need to be baked….

41. Oh my, do these ever look amazing. I love shortbread, but I’ve never made a chocolate shortbread. That has to change soon! These must taste incredible!

42. Anonymous says:

Hello,
    Could you please write the amount of chips you’ve used?
    Thanks from Israel!

43. onionchoco says:

Chocolate? Always!
    Cookies look perfect for me :)

44. Mary says:

Wow, those are VERY dark chocolate cookies! They sound perfect to me.

45. Joanne says:

Even if I THOUGHT I was giving these away to other people…I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t end up leaving my apartment. They’d go straight into my belly! All that chocolate…how could you resist?

46. Barbara says:

You know me, Sue, I love those slice and bake shortbread cookies! But these are darker (and more dangerous?) than any I’ve seen in ages. How divine!

47. Oh do they ever look yummy. I love that real chocolate flavor and shortbread cookies are always so rich and buttery.

48. Stephanie says:

OOh those look sinfully good. I’m a sucker for chocolate. The richer the better I say! Glad you made something to keep for yourself!

49. linda says:

These look amazing! I can almost smell them. Thank you

50. Magnolia Verandah says:

51. Jen L. says:

What’s the quantity on the chocolate chips? I think they are missing from the ingredient list..

52. Those look wonderful! I’ll have to make them soon!

53. Those are some decadent looking cookies!

54. This looks scrumptious, how delicious and how lucky your family are.

• Anonymous says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

• Anonymous says:

These comments must be from the author’s friends because they mention that the cookies look good but omit any comment about the taste. Clearly “the friends” have not made them yet. I made them and I am not a friend. Let’s just say they will now be a regular in my holiday baking repertoire. I recommend using Valrhona cocoa powder. Fantastic recipe!

55. Hello Sue:
    As you say, there is something particularly special and appealing about receiving homemade goodies at Christmas. Your shortbread looks to be the perfect gift and we are very tempted to try this receipt out as we are sure that both we and our friends would find it irresistible.