Apricot Turnovers are made quick and easy with frozen puff pastry dough and fresh apricots ~ use your favorite jam in place of fresh fruit for an even faster treat!
I love this idea for using up stray summer fruit. Peaches, plums, figs, or berries would all be delicious, and I think those small Italian plums that come into season at the end of the summer would be amazing. This is great for salvaging less than perfect fruit, too. Bruised, over or under ripe, whatever the issue is they’ll get a second chance baked up in these puff pastry turnovers. Next month try apples or pears, mixed with some fall spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
Puff pastry is perfect for turnovers because it’s so light and airy. Regular pie dough can overwhelm the fruit and be too heavy and ‘doughy’. The only downside to puff pastry is that it doesn’t keep well, so these turnovers should be devoured shortly after baking. I include the option to add sugar to the fruit, but I didn’t, I love the tangy flavor of the baked apricots.
Also try ~
- 1 sheet ready to bake puff pastry thawed
- 4 or 5 apricots pitted and sliced (do not peel)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp sugar optional
- 1 tsp almond extract
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 egg beaten with a tablespoon of water
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Set the oven to 400F
- Toss the apricot slices with the cornstarch, sugar, almond extract and lemon juice until everything is well combined and there are no lumps of cornstarch left. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Put the puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and gently roll out to an 11x11 inch square.
- Cut the pastry into four squares.
- Spoon a little of the apricots onto the center of each square. Gently pull one side over into a triangle, gently stretching it over the fruit. Use a fork to press along the edges to seal.
- Brush each turnover lightly with the egg wash, and then cut a couple of small slits in the top with a sharp paring knife.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 20 minutes, or until the turnovers are risen and golden brown.
- Cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar if you want to, and then enjoy right away.
Make it your own ~
- Use any fruit you like in these turnovers…how about blueberries, raspberries, or cherries?