Black Bean, Corn and Mango Salsa with Homemade Tortillas ~ nothing is quicker or easier than salsa. Except maybe homemade tortillas.
Black Bean, Corn and Mango Salsa is almost a meal in itself. The classic combination of beans and corn make it filling and nutritious. It’s as easy as gathering your ingredients, chopping and dropping into a bowl. Colorful doesn’t begin to describe it! Put a few cheesy quesadilla wedges made with your own homemade tortillas alongside it and you have a feast.
- Don’t make the salsa too far in advance as the mango breaks down and loses its freshness.
Homemade tortillas are not hard at all. You will need masa harina, which is a special corn flour used specifically for tortillas. The dough is nothing more than masa harina and water. You will also need an inexpensive tortilla press and waxed paper squares to keep the dough from sticking. These are usually sold right alongside the tortilla press, or you can cut your own.
makes about 16 small tortillas
- Into a mixing bowl, measure:
2 cups masa harina
- Add in:
1 1/8 cups water
- Mix just until the dough comes together. Add a little extra water if the dough seems very dry.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth to keep it from drying out while you work.
- Break off a small piece of the dough and form it into a ball, about the size of a ping pong ball.
- Put the ball of dough on top of a square of waxed paper on the tortilla press.
- Cover the ball with another piece of waxed paper, flatten slightly, and then press with the tortilla press.
- Carefully peel off the waved paper.
- Cook the tortillas on a hot pan or griddle for about 30 seconds on each side.
- I store the cooked tortillas in a baggie in the refrigerator until I’m ready to use them. In this case I made simple quesadillas with a ready made grated Mexican cheese blend.
The dough comes together instantly.
You can divide it into 4 equal portions and then divide each portion into 4 smaller portions, or just pinch off a piece about the size of a ping pong ball.
The tortilla press is a simple gadget that applies just the right pressure,.
I can’t get over how perfect the tortillas come out…if you’ve ever tried to roll your own, you’ll understand my amazement.
They take just seconds to cook, too, so the whole process is very satisfying.
The press makes small tortillas, these are about 4 1/2 inches round. They are perfect for appetizer sized quesadillas, just mound cheese in the middle and fry in a little salted butter.