Black Bottom Coconut Squares ~ for those times when you can’t decide what you want for dessert: creamy coconut bars, or rich chocolatey brownies? ~ with this recipe you get the best of both!
I can’t believe it, the kids here in Southern California are going back to school next week. Back to school rituals were so important in our family when my kids were growing up that even though both my daughters will go back to school this September far from home, some of the old feelings of nervous excitement hover around the house. Let’s face it, no matter what age or how smart your kids are, school is a struggle, whether it’s social, emotional, academic, or just plain physical — the school day is exhausting.
I tried hard to make my kids comfortable with school in any way that I could, and one of the little ways I did that was with special foods. Making treats like these squares just seems natural to me at this time of year. They might be waiting for them when they got home after a long day, neatly packed in their lunch bags, or sent along for a whole class to enjoy.
TIP: Making (or buying!) special treats to have on hand when kids get home from a long day at school is a great parenting technique ~ I think it sends a reassuring message that says I value what you’re doing and encourages kids to feel good about their efforts.
I just couldn’t resist the name, of these, can you? There’s a dark chocolate brownie layer under a chewy macaroon style coconut topping, and the two together are wonderful. These are from Martha Stewart. They’re simple to throw together, in fact you can do it all in one bowl if you rinse it out between making the bottom and the top.
- Try INA GARTEN’S COCONUT CUPCAKES ~ these fluffy cupcakes are a coconut lover’s dream.
- And it goes without saying that you’ll also love my TRIPLE COCONUT POUND CAKE.
Black Bottom Coconut Squares ~ for those times when you can't decide what you want for dessert: creamy coconut bars, or rich chocolatey brownies? ~ with this recipe you get the best of both!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark 'Dutched' cocoa)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package sweetened shredded coconut (7 ounces), 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling
- Set oven to 375F
- Grease a 9x9 square baking pan. I like to line it with parchment paper with overhanging edges so I can remove it from the pan easily.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl in the microwave. Whisk in the sugar, then the salt, and the egg. When it is well combined, whisk in the cocoa powder. Then fold in the flour.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pan and bake for about 15 minutes. It will start to look cooked around the edges. Don't over bake. Set aside while you make the topping.
- To make the topping, whisk the 2 eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Fold in the flour and the coconut (except the 1/2 cup reserved)
- Drop the coconut mixture in small mounds all over the brownie layer. I used a small scoop to portion out small mounds. Sprinkle with the reserved coconut.
- Bake for another 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
More classic coconutty desserts from around the web ~
- No Bake Coconut Cream Lush ~ perfect for summer potlucks.
- Coconut Cheesecake Bars ~ so much easier than regular cheesecake.
- Coconut Cake ~ from scratch and irresistible!
- Grandma’s Coconut Chews ~ grandma always has the best recipes :)