Mini Grilled Cheese Bites with Tomato Soup Dip ~ a fun, adorable, and delicious way to do a soup and sandwich combo lunch! Serve it shooter style for a unique appetizer.
We had this appetizer at a wedding last week and I couldn’t wait to make it for myself. Easy peasy, but lots of fun for everyone. Essentially it’s mini grilled cheese sandwiches with a bowl of fresh tomato soup for dipping. Everyone went wild. You can make it simple or extra special. I went for extra special with garden ripe tomatoes and fresh basil for the soup, and a beautiful Red Leicester cheese for the sandwich bites.
I think this is an ingenious concept because it swings from kids lunch, to game night grub, to elegant party appetizer. I’d forgotten how great a simple tomato soup can be, and the second half of summer is the perfect time to make it, the tomatoes are so good you can’t fail. And who can resist a mini grilled cheese sandwich? Nobody I know.
Reader Rave ~
“I made the soup and grilled cheese and they turned out delicious. The soup was cozy, creamy and perfect for the rainy El Niño storms we have coming in this week. I plan on making several of your soup recipes this week..” ~Yvonne
Mini Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup Dip
tomato soup dip
- 1 lb tomatoes I used plum tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream
- fresh basil for garnish
- 10 slices of white bread
- 5 slices cheese American, Cheddar, whatever you like
- butter at room temperature
- Rinse and give the tomatoes a rough chop.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the onions and tomatoes. Saute for a minute or two, and then pour in the stock and add the bay leaves. Bring up to a simmer and let cook, loosely covered, for about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or good blender. When it is completely smooth, blend in the cream.
- Reheat the soup on the stove and taste to adjust the salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with a garnish of fresh basil leaves.
- Make the grilled cheese sandwich bites by first cutting off the crusts from your bread. You are going to make larger sandwiches to grill, and then cut them down to mini size after they are cooked.
- Put a piece of cheese in between two pieces of bread. Butter the outside of the top and bottom. Place the sandwich on a hot pan and cook until golden on both sides. Remove the sandwiches and set them aside to cool a bit so they will be easier to slice.
- Slice with a sharp serrated knife into smaller squares, and then in half into little 'bites'.