Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits ~ these simple cheesy biscuits have great texture and flavor thanks to cornmeal and sharp cheddar folded right in. Plus they make the best homemade breakfast sandwiches EVER!!
When you’re jonesing for fresh baked bread, but don’t have any time or energy, biscuits are your best friends. They take minutes to throw together, and minutes more to bake. Pair them with hearty stews, or use them to add heft to a simple soup or salad meal. Make sliders or breakfast sandwiches with them, too.
Cornmeal adds extra flavor and texture to the biscuits, while cheddar gives them a nice savory edge.
Use good sharp cheese so the flavor will shine through. White or yellow cheddar and white or yellow cornmeal will work fine.
The easiest way to make biscuits is in the food processor ~
I never make biscuits any other way. The food processor is no mess, no fuss, and cuts up the cold butter effectively without having to worry about your hands warming it up and melting it. It’s those bits of cold butter in the dough that make a biscuit nice and flaky!
- Add your dry ingredients and cold butter, cut into pieces, to the bowl of the food processor.
- Pulse a few times until the mixture is evenly crumbly. You want to still see some small pieces of butter, so don’t over mix it.
- Slowly add your wet ingredients (usually milk or buttermilk) through the opening in the lid, pulsing as you go.
- The dough should start to come together into a single ball, then you know it’s done and ready to remove from the food processor and knead briefly on a lightly floured surface.
- If you’re adding ingredients you don’t want to get chopped up further, like shredded cheese, pieces of olive, etc., you can mix these in by hand after removing the biscuit dough from the food processor.
how to make the perfect homemade breakfast sandwich ~
I’m not ashamed to admit I love fast food breakfast sandwiches, I’m never happier than when I have a breakfast sandwich (or two) for dinner.
- Start with a warm, freshly baked biscuit, split by hand, not cut with a knife!
- Slather each side with butter.
- Add your ham, bacon, sausage, or plant based alternative.
- Top with a fried or poached egg.
- Add hot sauce, Hollandaise sauce, or secret sauce.
WANT TO TRY THESE CHEDDAR CORNMEAL BISCUITS?
PIN THEM TO YOUR FAVORITE BOARD SO YOU DON’T LOSE THEM.
JOIN ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE CREATIVE RECIPES ~ I LOVE TO PIN !
Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits
- Preheat oven to 450°F and lightly butter a baking sheet.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, honey, and butter to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until everything is combined.
- Slowly add in the milk and continue to pulse until the dough comes together, it may be a bit wet and sticky.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and mix in the cheddar by hand, knead a few times until it's no longer very sticky. Pat it into a rectangle about 1 inch thick, and cut out 8-10 biscuits with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits on your baking sheet, and bake at 450°F for 5 minutes. Then, turn the oven down to 400°F and bake for about 8-10 more minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the biscuits to cool on a baking rack.