Chocolate strawberry whipped cream cake is a glorious dessert for chocoholics, and strawberry lovers alike. It’s the perfect summer celebration cake.
chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream
This fresh strawberry cake has got a little something for everybody! Chocolate lovers will appreciate the rich moist cake layers (it’s Ina’s famous chocolate cake so you know it’s going to be good) but the strawberries and cream team wins too. It’s a no brainer for summer birthdays, and all manner of celebrations.
gather your ingredients
This cake starts with a from-scratch chocolate layer cake, but if you’re pressed for time you can absolutely use a boxed chocolate cake mix to make this beautiful dessert in a jiffy.
- a quart of fresh strawberries
- heavy cream
- sugar ~ both granulated and confectioner’s
- cocoa powder ~ unsweetened
- buttermilk ~ substitute regular milk or half and half
- vegetable oil
- hot coffee ~ you can substitute hot water
- vanilla extract
- baking powder, soda, and salt
- cream of tartar
make this chocolate strawberry cake your own
There are lots of ways to change up this recipe…
- For convenience you can use a cake recipe or a boxed cake mix (Duncan Hines is my favorite) in whatever flavor you like. You might try lemon, almond, or a yellow cake.
- Fold chopped berries into the cake batter and/or into the whipped cream.
- Spread strawberry jam in between the layers.
- Use raspberries or blackberries.
- Use 9 inch pans for a slightly lower cake, which would be a little less towering and a bit easier to slice neatly.
- Slice each cake layer into two thin layers and make a four layer extravaganza. (You’ll need more strawberries and cream for that.)
- Bake this as a sheet cake or as cupcakes. A sheet cake will bake at the same temp and time, 35 minutes. Check cupcakes at about 15-18 minutes.
strawberry desserts rock
- Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Milk
- Fresh Strawberry Galette
- Strawberry Buttermilk Bread
- Strawberry Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Strawberry Lemon Blondies
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
Chocolate Strawberry Whipped Cream Cake
- 8 or 9 inch non stick cake pans
For the cake
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined. Add the hot coffee to the batter and whisk just until everything is combined.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared baking pans, and bake for about 35 minutes. Note: if you've used 9 inch pans, check them at 25 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool for 15 minutes in the pans and then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Trim and slice the strawberries. Add the sugar and toss to combine. Set aside while the cake cools.
- Meanwhile whip the cream, confectioner's sugar, cream of tartar, and vanilla to stiff peaks. Be careful not to over beat.
- Lay one of the cake layers on a plate and spread a layer of whipped cream over the top. Add some of the sliced strawberries. Note: I flip the cake layer over so it is flat side up.
- Top with the second layer and spread the remaining whipped cream thickly over the top.
- Top with the remaining sliced berries. At this point you can refrigerate the cake if you like, or serve immediately.