Clementine Jam

Easy no-pectin Clementine Jam

Clementine Jam has a unique, brilliantly fresh flavor that plays well with all kinds of toast, croissants, scones, and biscuits. It’s not a marmalade because there’s no bitter peel involved, it’s a thick no-pectin jam bursting with sunny citrus that takes just 30 minutes on the stove.

Easy no pectin clementine jam

Who wouldn’t want this bright jam waking up their morning toast? It’s unusual, too, so I think it would make a nice last minute holiday gift. You’ll need 3 pounds of clementines, (they’re often sold in 3 pound bags) the juice of 2 lemons, and a cup of sugar — that’s it!

Sunny orange Clementine Jam

The peeled fruit is pureed, then cooked on the stove for about 30-40 minutes, just until it sets. The color is gorgeous and the flavor is pure clementine. I only use a cup of sugar, and a good dose of lemon juice, so there is a nice balance of sweet and tart. The natural pectins in the fruit are enough to thicken it so I didn’t need to add any.

Peeled clementines for clementine jam

Any variety of tangerine will work for this jam. They peel easily and are often seedless. I cut each one in half through the middle to check for seeds anyway.

A quick and easy no-pectin recipe for Clementine Jam

Personally I’m not a big fan of the bitterness of marmalades, and this is a nice alternative. As with so many of my homemade jams and curds, this clementine jam can do double duty as a filling for desserts, too.

Making fresh Clementine Jam

If you like this idea, try my Pink Grapefruit Habanero Jam — it’s the spicy version and would also make a fabulous gift. And my latest citrus jam is the gorgeous Blood Orange Jam ~ this one is like nothing you’ve ever tasted!

Easy no-pectin Clementine Jam

“Here it is years after your first post-just finished my first batch using this recipe. It is absolutely awesome and it looks beautiful in the jars! It has an amazing taste. My friends and family will love it.”

Lorrese

Clementine Jam

Clementine Jam has a unique, brilliantly fresh flavor that plays well with all kinds of toast, croissants, scones, and biscuits.  It's not a marmalade because there's no bitter peel involved, it's a thick no-pectin jam bursting with sunny citrus that takes just 30 minutes on the stove.
Course fruit preserve
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Yield 3 cups

• 3 pounds clementines
  • 1 cup sugar
  • juice of 2 lemons

• Peel the clementines and cut each one in half through the middle to check for seeds.
  • Put the fruit, in batches if necessary, in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
  • Pour the puree into a heavy pot and add the sugar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat a bit and boil for about 30-40 minutes, stirring fairly often. Do not cover the pot!
  • The liquid will foam up at first, but will eventually get absorbed. The mixture will start to thicken and get a little deeper and glossier when it is ready. I like to freeze a small plate and test the jam by dropping some onto it and letting it cool. If the jam firms up, it’s done. If not, keep boiling a little longer.
  • When it is done, ladle it into clean jars and let cool on the counter. When it reaches room temperature, cover and refrigerate. It will keep at least 10 days in the fridge.

Cook’s notes

• Your jam will only be as good as your fruit. We’ve all had those clementines that don’t measure up, so skip those and try to find fruit with great juicy flavor. It shouldn’t be too hard, tangerines are in season right now.
  • I didn’t use pectin, but if you want a super firm jam, you can use some Low Sugar Pectin (I use Sure Jell brand, in the pink box.)
  • The longer you cook the jam, the thicker it will be when it cools. I like to test by putting a small plate in the freezer and then dropping a bit on the cold plate. If the jam jells when it cools, it’s done.

My Citrus Board is one of my favorites, are you following along?

Follow The View from Great Island’s board recipes | citrus on Pinterest.

Christine
    March 25, 2020 at 10:43 am

Made this last night with my kids. Easy and tasty. We all loved it. Had it on today this morning. ?

Christine
      March 25, 2020 at 10:44 am

Sorry, that was supposed to say toast! Lol

Gaye
    January 16, 2020 at 2:49 pm

Can you use a sugar substitute? Or less sugar?

January 16, 2020 at 2:52 pm

Yes, you can do either, but sugar is helpful in achieving a firmer set in jams and jellies.

Derek
    January 8, 2020 at 10:49 pm

This sounds great for our leftover Christmas clementines…do you just use regular sugar or preserving sugar?

January 9, 2020 at 7:03 am

I use regular sugar.

Wendy
    January 4, 2020 at 4:11 am

Just made this for first time. Picked the clementines fresh off the tree and used two oranges to make up the weight. It did taste a tiny bit bitter so just before placing into jars I’ve added two caps of Cointreau, it now tastes divine. Hopefully will be even better once cold and set. Thanks for sharing the recipe !

Abby
    December 31, 2019 at 3:56 pm

Mine turned out a little bitter even though I got rid of the white. So I added a little extra sugar and some orange juice and boiled for an extra 15 min. It was perfect!

Carisa
    December 16, 2019 at 8:51 am

I’ve made this recipe three times before with tangerines/clementines my parents send to me every year, and I’ve never had a problem with this recipe. However, this year I’m on my second batch and both times have turned out very bitter. I made sure I removed as much of the pith and all the seeds, but still so bitter tasting. Don’t know what I did wrong, the fruit is very sweet, and mostly seedless.

I’m so bummed right now.

December 16, 2019 at 9:19 am

That’s a shame Carisa, especially since it’s worked out so well for you in the past. It sounds like the citrus you got this year is simply more bitter.

lisa santanello
    December 12, 2019 at 6:04 pm

I will give it 4 stars because the way you describe the process is excellent. but 3 on the taste. My clementines were sweet to the taste but this ended up on the bitter side. I’m sure it has all to to with the clementine itself. But if you have any other suggestions i am all ears. It literally took 35 minutes and firmed up perfectly. Beautiful color!

Are there other fruits out there that will gel like this so i don’t have to use pectin?

Patti Bohac-Elbaor
    December 7, 2019 at 8:02 am

Can this be safely canned in a water bath canner

Connie
    November 12, 2019 at 7:50 am

Trying to use up tons of clementines from my 97 year old mothers harvest Since it appears that this jam last in the refrigerator for 2weeks. Would you be able to freeze?

November 12, 2019 at 8:18 am

Yes absolutely! Leave a little headroom in your container for expansion.

Camilla Julie
    November 2, 2019 at 3:59 am

Thank You So Much for this awesome sharing! Excited to try this Tonight!

November 2, 2019 at 7:43 am

Hope you love it Camilla!

1 6 7 8 9 10