Cold Brew Icebox Pie ~ with its deep dark chocolate crumb crust filled with a refreshing cold brew coffee cream, this easy no bake dessert is what sultry night dreams are made of.
I’m thrilled with how this easy no bake pie came out ~ I love my coffee desserts, and this didn’t disappoint. If you’re looking for a quick, no fuss recipe for a summer night, this is it. People love the cool, creamy coffee filling piled into that midnight chocolate crust.
This recipe uses a small convenience (aka a package of instant pudding mix) to great advantage ~ it gives the filling stability and a quick set without having to cook it on the stove or bake the pie, making this a true icebox dessert. Actual cold brew coffee, plus a boost from espresso powder, bring the fresh coffee flavor to the fore. The technique of adding strong natural flavors to a package of instant pudding is a useful one ~ the natural flavors disguise anything artificial and you get immediate thickening, it’s a win win. I used this same idea (only with vanilla) in my Strawberries and Cream Tart.
I made a quick deep chocolate crust using chocolate wafers, just crush them and toss with enough melted butter to hold them together. I love to keep a box or two of Famous Wafers hidden in the cupboard for just such an occasion. You could use another chocolate cookie, like Oreos, but the wafers make it extra special. The trick is keeping them away from foraging snackers. I’ve heard of cooks stashing a couple of packages in an emptied out All Bran box. Genius.
Total prep time: 15 minutes!
The hardest part is waiting for the pie to chill. But unlike some other icebox pies you don’t have to wait long for this one…just a few hours should do it. Be aware, this is a soft set pie, if you want it faster or firmer, stick it in the freezer, but I like the softly chilled texture from the fridge best.
I used Stumptown Cold Brew Coffee in my pie, I love keeping a bottle or two of that in the fridge for instant iced coffee breaks. But you can use regular cold coffee, or make your own cold brew. I boost the coffee flavor with a teaspoon of instant espresso which I keep in the cupboard at all times.
Thanks for pinning!
No bake desserts are a lifesaver in the warmer months, so here are a few other ideas for you to try ~
One of my favorites are these No Bake Raspberry Cheesecake Bars, they’re layered up with lots of textures and flavors…aren’t they pretty?
Another no bake dessert with a Famous Wafer crust, my No Bake Vanilla Bean Cheesecake Squares…they’re simple, but satisfying.
My Lemon Crunch Bars are always a favorite…I think it has something to do with the gingersnap crust 😉
*recipe lightly adapted from The Domestic Rebel
Cold Brew Icebox Pie
- 1 package Nabisco Famous Wafers
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 3.4 ounce package Jello Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix be sure to get the instant, not the cook and serve style
- 3/4 cup cold brew coffee
- 1 tsp instant espresso
- 1 cup cold heavy cream divided
- Crush the wafers in a food processor or with a rolling pin. Make sure to get them nice and fine.
- Toss with the melted butter until well blended. Reserve a few of the crumbs for garnish, and press the rest into a 9 inch regular pie shell (not a deep dish.) If your pie dish is on the small side you might not need all the crumbs. Refrigerate.
- Whip 1/2 cup of the cream and set aside.
- Blend the instant espresso into the remaining half cup of cream. Stir until the granules are completely dissolved, You my want to let it sit for a few minutes.
- Whisk the pudding mix with the cold brew and the coffee infused cream. Whisk for 2 minutes to allow it to thicken. Fold in the whipped cream until no streaks remain.
- Pour into the crust and smooth out the top. Refrigerate at least 3-4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with reserved crumbs.
Make this cold brew icebox pie your own ~
- Make it with a different crumb crust ~ use graham crackers, or another plain cookie for the crumbs. You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups crumbs.
- Make it mocha ~ use instant chocolate pudding instead of vanilla.
- Make it lower fat ~ use whole milk in place of half of the cream.
- Make it gluten free ~ use your favorite gluten free cookie or ground almonds in place of the chocolate wafers.