My Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are a lightened up version of your favorite breakfast ~ they’re perfect for a special occasion, a cozy weekend morning, or just any time you want to treat yourself!
lemon poppy seed pancakes burst with citrus flavor.
So many lemon recipes suffer from the wimp factor. They add a tablespoon of lemon juice or the zest of one lemon and then have the nerve to call themselves a lemon this or a lemon that. It’s criminal. When it comes to lemon, I say go big or go home. This recipe uses the zest of two lemons and plenty of fresh lemon juice to insure you’ll get the lemon message loud and clear.
poppy seeds add a lovely crunch to these fluffy lemon pancakes
And it’s the same thing with poppy seeds. People seems to think that a teaspoon or two entitles them to emblazon the words poppy seeds all over their recipe title. I assure you that these lemon poppy seed pancakes have earned their name fair and square with lots of poppy seed crunch.
pancake making tips
- Make sure your baking powder is fresh, you should replace every six months!
- Don’t over mix your batter, whisk just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. When it comes to pancakes, lumps are your friends.
- I like to rest my batter for 30 minutes. Let it sit undisturbed on the counter. Don’t be tempted to re-mix after resting, though.
- Use a scoop or measuring cup (the size is up to you) to insure even sized pancakes.
- Make a test pancake first.
- Use a large skillet or griddle and preheat before cooking.
- Grease the pan lightly with oil, not butter.
- Serve with REAL maple syrup, it makes all the difference!
And in case you’re wondering, yes, maple syrup does go with the lemon, in fact the flavors complement each other beautifully. I’ve even gone on to make a Tangerine Poppy Seed Pancakes, which I love equally as much.
let’s hear it for poppy seeds!
If you’re a fan of the delicate crunch that poppy seeds bring to a recipe, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve used them in lots of delicious ways, from a basic Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing and Poppy Seed Mayonnaise to Almond Popy Seed French Toast and even Amaretto Poppy Seed ice Cream!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients together and fold in the poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just until combined, don’t over mix, you want your pancakes to be fluffy! Lumps are fine.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lightly golden on both sides.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.