My Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are a lightened up version of your favorite breakfast ~ they’re perfect for a special occasion, a cozy weekend morning, or just any time you want to treat yourself!
These lemon poppy seed pancakes are bursting with citrus flavor.
So many lemon recipes suffer from the wimp factor. They add a tablespoon of lemon juice or the zest of one lemon and then have the nerve to call themselves a lemon this or a lemon that. It’s criminal. When it comes to lemon, I say go big or go home.
Poppy seeds add a lovely crunch to these fluffy lemon pancakes
And it’s the same thing with poppy seeds. People seems to think that a tablespoon or two entitles them to emblazon the words poppy seeds all over their recipe title.
I assure you that these lemon poppy seed pancakes have earned their name fair and square. Lots of lemon flavor, lots of poppy seed crunch.
And in case you’re wondering, yes, maple syrup does go with the lemon, in fact the flavors complement each other beautifully. I’ve even gone on to make a Tangerine Poppy Seed Pancakes, which I love equally as much.
If you’re a fan of the delicate crunch that poppy seeds bring to a recipe, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve used them in lots of delicious ways, from a basic Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing and Poppy Seed Mayonnaise to Almond Popy Seed French Toast and even Amaretto Poppy Seed ice Cream!
Reader Rave ~
“I have made these for Mother’s Day the past couple years and they are always a huge hit! My mom LOVES them as do I. The first time I made them we were out of our homemade maple syrup so I made up some buttermilk syrup. Oooh man, that was a game changer. We can’t have them any other way now! And now we put strawberries on top as well! They are a very special treat for us every year, so thank you for sharing! We love them!!” ~ Natalie
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- zest of two lemons
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients together and fold in the poppy seeds.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix just until combined, don't over mix, you want your pancakes to be fluffy! Lumps are fine.
- Cook on a lightly greased griddle until lightly golden on both sides.
- Serve hot with maple syrup.