Flamin’ Hot Cheetos Macaroni and Cheese ~ this 30 minute skillet mac and cheese is just crazy enough to be insanely delicious!
There are so many bonds that connect a mother and daughter…facial features, personality quirks, a weird kink in the 4th toe…we share a passion for poetry, thrift stores, and tiny dogs. But nothing is more primal than our common food preferences, fueled by the very strands of our dna. A recent trip down the supermarket chip aisle sparked a discussion about Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, and this recipe was born.
The week between Christmas and the New Year is awkward to say the least when it comes to eating. We’re still on that holiday high, with a definite sense of inhibition when it comes to what we’re willing to call a meal. There’s lots of crazy food in the house and no particular schedule to keep.
Let’s just say we’re not quite ready to settle down to healthy January recipes just yet. We’ve got 5 more days…
For this fun dish I make the mac and cheese according to my basic stove top recipe. I use sharp cheddar and elbows, but you can change that up with your favorite cheese and pasta shape. Then I load it into a skillet and top with the crunchy crimson gold…pile it on, because you’ll want some in every bite!
Don’t take this too seriously, but it’s pretty delicious :)
Other mac and cheese recipes you need to try ~
Flamin’ Cheetos Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked to just al dente
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups crushed or chopped Flamin' Hot Cheetos
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a heavy bottomed pot melt the butter and flour and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Add the milk and whisk or stir constantly while heating on medium heat until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take off the heat, and sprinkle in the cheese, while stirring. When the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth, fold in the macaroni. Turn the mac and cheese into a skillet or baking dish and top with the Cheetos.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes and enjoy!
Use regular Cheetos if you don't like things spicy.
We like this made with Fritos, too!