Guava Sorbet

Ultra simple Guava Sorbet is a healthy way to end a meal, and so pretty! | theviewfromgreatisland

Dessert doesn’t get any healthier or more refreshing than this tropical Guava Sorbet. Make it in 20 minutes, using just ONE INGREDIENT!

Easy One Ingredient Guava Sorbet is the perfect end to a summer meal, it's healthy, low calorie, and has no added sugar | theviewfromgreatisland.com

Guava is one of those fruits we don’t see very often in this country and it’s a real shame because it has a unique, sensual scent and flavor that immediately whisks you away to another world. Here in California I see them in the farmers markets in the late spring and summer, and I grab them whenever I can. They have tons of pectin, and the next time I get a big enough bagful I’ll make you some guava butter. But even if you don’t live in a state where guava grows, you can still experience it with this ultra simple sorbet because it’s made with just one ingredient, guava nectar,.

one ingredient guava sorbet is a refreshing and healthy dessert

You might not realize it but you can make wonderful sorbets from just about any kind of fruit juice, and it doesn’t have to be fresh, either, canned works just fine. You can find guava nectar in almost every grocery store, look for it with the other canned juices. If you keep a few cans in your cupboard you can whip this up as a last minute dessert. You do need an ice cream machine, but honestly, they aren’t very expensive and they are SO worth it. I’ve had my basic Cuisinart model for years and it serves me well. I think it was something like $49. SO WORTH IT ๐Ÿ™‚ย  I look forward to pulling it out from the back of my cupboard every year.

Guava Sorbet is a healthy, low calorie, fat free dessert just perfect for spring and summer evenings!

Guava Sorbet

• 2 11.5 ounce cans Kerns guava nectar

• For best results, start with chilled guava nectar. When the nectar is cold, simply plug in your ice cream machine and turn it on. Pour the juice in and let the machine do its thing. Mine takes less than 20 minutes...
  • Spoon the sorbet into a chilled loaf pan or other container and put in the freezer until ready to serve.

notes:

• This would be really nice with berries or other fresh fruit like kiwi.
  • You might want to make an after dinner ‘float’ — just add the sorbet to a glass and fill with chilled sparkling wine.
  • If you like you can add 2 Tbsp vodka or other alcohol (dark rum would be nice) to the juice before churning. The alcohol will make the sorbet more ‘scoopable’ after it has been in the freezer for a while.

Don’t lose it — pin it!

One ingreient is all it takes to make this fabulously refreshing dessert!

Laura | Tutti Dolci
    May 16, 2016 at 11:56 pm

That color is the prettiest, what a refreshing sorbet!

Sara
    May 15, 2016 at 10:33 am

I love guava nectar, it reminds me of my trips to Hawaii. What a great idea to turn it into sorbet!

Dom
    May 15, 2016 at 5:35 am

Now that’s what I like! One ingredient and so pretty and so tasty. I don’t eat a lot of guava but I need hunt them down here in the UK!

Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
    May 14, 2016 at 1:38 pm

I need to try this Sue. Sorbet is a favorite of mine in the summer. Such a pretty color too!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    May 14, 2016 at 1:19 pm

Sue, this is fabulous! I love the flavor of guava, and this would be so easy to make AND be something “different” to serve! Your gorgeous photos have me pulling my ice cream maker out of the cupboard now.

[email protected]'s Recipes
    May 14, 2016 at 11:37 am

That’s just the way I made my ice cream…though I usually use fresh fruits. But since I can’t find fresh guava over here, the can ones would work just great. Yours looks really pretty…that creamy pinky colour is just beautiful.

sippitysup
    May 14, 2016 at 9:37 am

Come fall I’ll have hundreds (literally) of guava from the tre in my yard. It’s covered in blossoms now so I predict I’ll be making a ton of this. GREG

Jennifer @ Seasons and Suppers
    May 13, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I can’t wait to try this! Looks so refreshing and such a beautiful colour ๐Ÿ™‚

Terry
    May 13, 2016 at 3:51 pm

When you say “fridge”, you do mean the refridgerator……. not the freezer. Will a Vitamix work, I don’t have an ice cream maker.

May 13, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Ooops, I’m so glad I have careful readers out there, that was a mistake, I’ve corrected it. I meant to say the freezer, thanks Terry!

May 13, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Oh, and the vitamix won’t work in this case because you need the freezing action of an ice cream maker, sorry. As another reader said, you could make a ‘granita’ out of this, which involves freezing the juice in a container and scraping it with the tines of a fork periodically as it freezes to get a granular, icy texture.

Robyn @ Simply Fresh Dinners
    May 13, 2016 at 3:14 pm

Oh, this is so beautiful, Sue. I don’t have an ice cream maker but it’s time I got one. I just bought a pressure cooker and I’m terrified to start it up, lol. This is such a lovely dessert and so simple. Thanks for a great recipe!

May 13, 2016 at 3:29 pm