How to Make Clotted Cream

Homemade clotted cream

Homemade Clotted Cream ~ (aka Devonshire or Cornish Cream) this luxurious spreadable cream is a must for afternoon tea and scones, but no need to buy those pricey little imported bottles, because now you can make it right in your own kitchen with my easy recipe.

tea at the Biltmore Hotel

“I have done this clotted cream several times now and have been successful each time. The family is looking forward to scones and clotted cream this Christmas morning.”

~ Jean

If you’ve never had a classic English afternoon tea with scones and clotted cream, you’re missing out!

Last week I was treated by the historic Biltmore Hotel in downtown Los Angeles to their classic English afternoon tea. If you’ve never had a classic afternoon tea, you need to experience it, and the roaring twenties era Biltmore is the place to do it. Every inch of the hotel is carved, muraled, frescoed, tapestried, guilded, mosaic’d and generally so eye-poppingly gorgeous that it’s easy to forget you’re in Los Angeles. I almost forgot to drink my tea!

tea at the Biltmore

The highlight of any afternoon tea, besides the tea, is the array of tiny treats that comes with it, and I always zero right in on the scones and clotted cream. (That’s them on level two of our tiered tea tray.)

What is Clotted cream?

If you’ve never had it, is a very thick rich spreadable form of heavy cream that was first invented ages ago by some very smart British farmers. It’s not like whipped cream, or cream cheese, it’s not like butter…it has a unique decadent consistency and a wonderful soft flavor. It’s quite thick and spreadable, and when you slather it on a freshly baked scone there is no better thing in the world.

A tiered tea tray with tea sandwiches and scones for High Tea at the Biltmore

The little pot of clotted cream that we got at the Biltmore had me craving more, and happily I made the most astounding discovery…you can actually make clotted cream at home in your own kitchen. No more tracking it down in specialty stores and paying big bucks for the imported stuff. My homemade clotted cream was actually way better (and a whole lot fresher) than the British stuff I usually buy.

What does clotted cream taste like?

Clotted cream tastes like lightly ‘cooked’ cream, but it’s not the taste it’s famous for, it’s the amazingly thick, silky texture! The mouthfeel of clotted cream is like nothing else, and definitely shouldn’t be missed.

homemade clotted cream in a small jar, with scones

How to make clotted cream ~

This is an amazing process, I hardly had to do anything, and I end up with a ton of the richest, silkiest clotted cream I’ve ever had.

• I used 2 pints of cream, poured them into a baking dish, and left it overnight in a 180F oven (the lowest my oven will go.)
  • In the morning I let it cool and then refrigerated it for the rest of the day.
  • Then I scooped it into jars, which was a little sloppy at first, and put them back in the refrigerator. Any little bit of liquid gets absorbed right into the clotted cream after you put it in the jars, and by the next morning when I had it with my scones, it was absolutely to die for.
making homemade clotted cream

How long does clotted cream last

• This is a fresh cream product, and will need to be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep for about 2 weeks, but honestly, it disappears faster than that every time.
homemade clotted cream in a mason jar, with spoon.

What to do with the whey leftover from making clotted cream

You can use the whey in baking, for making oatmeal, or in smoothies.

Homemade clotted cream in a jar with a knife

I can’t say enough good things about this project, the results far exceeded my expectations and it was absurdly easy. The only catch is that you can’t use ultra-pasteurized cream, which is cream that’s been processed for a longer shelf life. Many stores only sell ultra-pasteurized cream, so you have to search a bit for regular cream. I found mine at Whole Foods. Just read the labels… if it doesn’t say ultra-pasteurized on the label, you’re good to go.

cardamom and vanilla scones ready to bake

What to eat with your homemade clotted cream

You will definitely want to make scones to go with your homemade clotted cream. I have lots of recipes for scones on the blog, but this time I made Jennifer’s Cardamom Vanilla Cream Scones, and they were wonderful. Jen doesn’t use any egg in her recipe like I usually do, and I have to say I really liked the texture of her scones. And how can you go wrong with cardamom and vanilla? I highly recommend them.

Homemade Clotted Cream in a jar with scones

Tips for making clotted cream

• Make sure your cream is not ‘ultra pasteurized’, you will need to find regular pasteurized cream at a Whole Foods or other similar store. Ultra pasteurized cream has been treated in a way that prevents it from ‘clotting’.
  • An oven thermometer is an essential kitchen tool, and really comes in handy for this project. If your oven is too cool or too hot your homemade clotted cream will not ‘clot’.
homemade clotted cream with scones
Instant Pot Clotted Cream

Homemade Clotted Cream

Homemade Clotted Cream ~ (aka Devonshire or Cornish Cream) this luxurious spreadable cream is a must for afternoon tea and scones, but no need to buy those pricey little imported bottles, because now you can make it right in your own kitchen!
Course preserves
Cuisine British
Cook Time 12 hours
chilling 12 hours
Total Time 1 day
Yield 1 pint

• 2 pints heavy cream not ultrapasteurized
  • a heavy casserole dish

• set your oven to 180F
  • Pour the cream into the casserole dish. It should come up about 1-3 inches on the side.
  • Set the dish, uncovered, in the oven and leave undisturbed for 12 hours. Be sure to leave the oven on the whole time. I do this overnight.
  • Remove the dish from the oven and set to cool. Then cover and refrigerate. Note: the cream may seem thin at this point, but is going to thicken considerably overnight.
  • The next morning scoop the thickened cream into a jar or jars, and cover and put back in the refrigerator. You can use the leftover cream for baking..
  • Spread the clotted cream on freshly baked scones.
how to make clotted cream pin
email sign up prompt

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida
    February 16, 2015 at 7:17 am

Just pulled mine out of the oven after 12 hours at 180 degrees. And, apparently, my oven turns off on its own after twelve hours. It looks a bit weird with a pale yellow-ish crust on top and watery area underneath. It’s cooling now, and then will go into the fridge. Fingers crossed this works out as I love clotted cream and have a scone recipe at the ready.

February 16, 2015 at 7:27 am

Mine looked super weird when I took it out of the oven, yours sounds just right — fingers crossed!

Sarah
      May 6, 2015 at 2:58 pm

If it has a pale yellow crust you’re doing it right! Clotted cream originates in Cornwall (where I’m from) and it’s always served with the crust on.

May 6, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Thank you Sarah!

Sheena @ Tea and Biscuits
    February 9, 2015 at 7:03 am

I can’t eat dairy anymore, but my husband dreams of scones with clotted cream and jam and it’s always near the top of the list of things to eat when we go home to Scotland! I had NO idea you could make this, we’ve tried the stuff they sell here but it’s not the real deal, this will be on his menu very soon!

February 9, 2015 at 7:17 am

You should make it for him for Valentine’s Day!

Foodiewife
    February 7, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Oh, how I love having tea and all the sandwiches and desserts to go with it. I was thrilled to finally have tea and the Grand Empress in Victoria and I have wanted to make clotted cream ever since. Just last week, I found a video that shows the same process that you do. I just couldnt’ find the heavy cream. (Slaps forehead.) Whole Foods! Of course. Everything looks lovely, and I have a scone recipe I’m anxious to try– though the vanilla and cardamon sounds fantastic.

February 8, 2015 at 7:16 am

Wouldn’t it be fun to travel around going to various high teas? Good luck with your clotted cream Debby!

ron
    February 7, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Alton Brown’s version is pretty easy & doesn’t require the oven be on overnight (or at all). Just strain it through coffee filters.

February 7, 2015 at 2:42 pm

That does sounds easy, but part of the distinctive flavor of clotted cream, I think, comes from it being ‘cooked’ slowly. And I can’t imagine that the texture could be as thick as mine if it’s just strained. I’ll definitely have to give it a try to see!

Sheena @ Tea and Biscuits
      February 10, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Sue is right , Alton’s version is simply thickened cream. British style clotted cream that I’m used to is thick, almost spreadable, and has a slightly tangy almost sour (but not off) taste.

[email protected]+Floating+Kitchen
    February 6, 2015 at 5:38 am

Mmmm….craving this right now! I got to do high tea at the Fairmont Empress in Victoria BC and that was so much fun. What a great treat!

Jess
    February 6, 2015 at 5:11 am

Oooooh!!! I LOVE clotted cream! I’ve never been able to find it anywhere outside of Britain and it’s definitely on my top five favorite foods list. Thank you thank you thank you!

Just one question: how long do you think this would last in the refrigerator, and how much cream does it make? Is it the same quantity or does it reduce somewhat?

February 6, 2015 at 6:52 am

It will probably vary slightly with everyone, but I’m going to say it’ll last at least two weeks tightly covered in the fridge, and this recipe makes about 2 cups of clotted cream, which is a lot because a little goes a long way!

JaniP
      January 13, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Hi Jess, I’ve made clotted cream lots of time using this fab recipe and once it’s been cooled you can actually freeze it successfully. I’ve made larger batches, put it into plastic pots when cold and frozen for up to 3 months, so you can enjoy it anytime. Just thaw in fridge overnight and it’s perfect! ?

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com
    February 5, 2015 at 10:44 am

I do afternoon tea frequently and love hearing about other people enjoying it as well! A friend I introduced to afternoon tea about 20 years ago absolutely adores clotted cream, and it’s been far too long since I’ve made it. She will thank you for inspiring me!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)
    February 4, 2015 at 11:08 pm

The Biltmore is such a fabulous place to have tea and your scones + cream look like a dream!

[email protected]+This+is+How+I+Cook
    February 4, 2015 at 3:47 pm

The Biltmore looks fabulous. The Brown Palace in Denver also does high tea and it is fun. Though their decor is not quite as glorious. Love clotted cream and you know I love scones. Yours, in particular!

Teascones
      March 5, 2017 at 5:14 am

The photos show the Biltmore doing one thing un-British however. When I was in England, they explained to me that you always start to eat from the bottom tier upwards during tea. Therefore, you place the tea sandwiches on the bottom tier, the scones (pronounced “Scunns” and does NOT rhyme with bones-as they corrected me;) on the middle tier and sweets/desserts that you finish last with on the top tier.

Jojo
        June 23, 2017 at 10:42 am

Tea originated in China so tea lovers or tearooms that offer tea should present it in any way they desire…’un-British’ or not. Scones is pronounced differently depending on regions so there is no right/wrong. And for anyone afraid to host a tea event because of so-called rules, I say throw ‘em out the window and start your own tea rituals/traditions. Just have fun…it’s all about treating your guests and yourself special. Trust me, no one will care/remember what tiers all the yummy treats are on! 🙂

[email protected]+Riffs
    February 4, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Clotted cream is such wonderful stuff, isn’t it? And it’s easy to make! I haven’t made any in years, though — but now you have me craving it. Really good post — thanks.

1 2 3 4 5 21