Instant Pot Cheddar Risotto with Fresh Sage ~ I’m hyperventilating just thinking about sharing this recipe with you You must try it, the flavor and texture is so luxurious, and all from a handful of common ingredients. (Did you know risotto takes 6 minutes in the Instant Pot?)
The Instant Pot can do a millions things, but I would buy it all over again just for the risotto. It makes the most hauntingly delicious authentic risotto in just a few minutes, no stirring, no fussing, no nothing!
Funny thing ~ I considered making this an ‘Intant Pot or Not’ recipe, meaning I would give you both ways so you could choose. But honestly the thought of writing out all the fussy instructions for a stove top risotto made me tired just thinking about it. And I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again, the Instant Pot makes better risotto than anything I’ve ever made on the stove, and I’ve been making risotto for years. So here’s the message ~ if you love risotto, just get an Instant Pot, you will not regret it, pinky swear!! (I’m hyperventilating again, can you tell?)
This Instant Pot cheddar risotto only uses a few ingredients, but choose them wisely ~ a great olive oil, good quality arborio rice, a nice sharp cheddar, your favorite chicken stock or broth, and a drinkable dry white wine. The better your ingredients, the better your risotto.
I LOVE the flavor of the cheddar in this, it’s so unexpected in a risotto where you usually taste Parmesan or some other Italian cheese. There’s a buttery nutty vibe to the cheddar that is really pleasing to me. I used yellow cheddar and I think the color is lovely, but there’s no reason you can’t use a white cheese, just make sure it’s good and sharp.
Enough chit chat, let’s get cooking!
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 heaped cup arborio rice (must be arborio rice)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock, plus more if needed (use veggie stock if you like)
- 5-6 large fresh sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 ounces good cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Plug in the Instant Pot and push sauté. Set to medium. Add the oil and butter and when they are hot, add the rice. Stir to coat the rice and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the wine to the pot and stir until it mostly evaporates, just a minute or two. Press Cancel.
- Add the stock and sage leaves to the pot and give everything a stir. Scrape down the sides of the pot if there is any rice sticking to it. Lock on the cover and set the vent to Seal. Press Pressure Cook and set for 6 minutes.
- When the machine beeps wait 5 minutes, then release the pressure valve. When the pressure has come down, remove the lid.
- Remove the sage leaves and stir in the cheese. Stir until it has completely melted and everything is creamy. If you like you can add a bit more hot chicken stock at this point if you like your risotto with a looser consistency.
- Check the seasonings and ladle the risotto into bowls. Garnish with a fresh sage leaf or two and a grinding of black pepper.
Make this Instant Pot Cheddar Risotto your own~
Leave out the wine and use more stock if you don’t want the alcohol.
Use another flavorful hard cheese like Gruyere or Manchego if you like.
If sage isn’t your thing, try fresh thyme.